Probably A Dumb Question, But... Help For Larger Cake Layer

Decorating By knel Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 4:24pm by kellygray79

knel Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:07am
post #1 of 10

I am doing a 14" round cake and am beside myself worrying about how to get it stacked without ripping the sucker right in half. I have no problem getting the very bottom layer of a cake onto a cake board. Pans create the perfect support system to get it on there safely. But what is the best way to get the next layer on top of that without breaking it apart? I cant use pans for support for this layer... just the trusty ol' hands, and they aren't so trusty. What is the key thing here with this? I'm really spazzing about this.

9 replies
KrisD13 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:55am
post #2 of 10

When you stack a cake, they are still all on cake boards anyways...and don't forget to put in the dowels/ straws for support. icon_smile.gif

beemarie Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:06am
post #3 of 10

If you are talking about placing the second layer on top of the filling, use a cake board to slide it on top. Works great!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:09am
post #4 of 10

Do you mean the next layer or the top of a torted cake? If you're placing the top of the cake that you've torted on, you can try using a lipless cookie sheet. I have one that I've used when torting large sheet cakes and it's worked well for me.

This is what they look like:

cathyscakes Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:14am
post #5 of 10

What I usually do is put the cake on a cardboard round dusted with powdered sugar, so the cake will slide off onto the other layer. Or... I freeze the layer a bit so it firms up the cake and then you can pick it up quite easily and place it on the other layer. I would let it thaw in place before icing though.

CambriasCakes Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:19am
post #6 of 10

I've tried the above methods and they don't work for me....I'm all thumbs and I can never get them even. What I do is stick it in the freezer for about an hour or so that way you can just pick it right up and place it on top without it breaking in half. Works like a charm! Good luck!

cowdex Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:27am
post #7 of 10

I agree with "lip-less" cookie sheet! That works for me..........

shisharka Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:48am
post #8 of 10

These $1.50 cutting boards from Ikea are my magic weapons. I have half a dozen, and I slide all my tortes on their own board before sliding back (or flipping over) onto the bottom torte. It works like charm on 14â-ers, too, even though the board is a little shorter, I just gently hold on to the side thatâs off the board. I guess it is my equivalent to the lip-less cookie sheet.

knel Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone, these sound easy enough to do. I'll give them a try.

kellygray79 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for asking this question knel - I have trouble too but this post will be a great help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%