Help , Im A Novice , Fondant & Stacking?

Decorating By kbobo Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 8:56pm by cakesnkids

kbobo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbobo Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:55am
post #1 of 6

hi everyone icon_biggrin.gif i am making a cake for my twins bday in july , it will be 3 tiers - 6-8-10 and i have never stacked before any tips to save me there? and also ive never used fondant , i just bought some wilton ready to use today , to practice on a normal cake this week and see how it goes.. help .. how do i do it ? and do i need to put any frosting on the cake under the fondant or not? i just need all the help i can i want to have the perfect 1st bday for them !! THANKS !!

5 replies
shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:43am
post #2 of 6

Welcome to CC, kbobo!
icon_smile.gif
Check out this Youtube video, it is the best âat a glanceâ 3-minute tutorial, if I can call it that, Iâve ever seen. It got me started on fondant a little less than a year ago:

Hope that helps a little! Good luck!

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:33am
post #3 of 6

Oh, and you can't pass up the info that Aine2 has on fondant, covering cakes and making figures with ......check out her profile on here....I believe that will lead you to her website. She's amazing!

Ginger08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginger08 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:58am
post #4 of 6

just my 2 cents worth on stacking fondant cakes...I have found that by keeping the supports (whichever you choose to dowel with) up just a little bit on the bottom and middle tier, the cake wont have all its weight on the cake below it which could cause bubblling and "squishing" of the cake...I know this from experience!

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:13am
post #5 of 6

I enjoyed that Youtube video! Thanks! Aine2 is awesome as well!

cakesnkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkids Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 6

You've gotten such good advice, the only other thing I can offer is you might like to try the series Sharon Zambito has done. She's a member here and is producing a cake decorating series, buttercream, fondant and stacking

her website is www.sugaredproductions.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%