Wedding Cake For A Friend!!!

Decorating By lemonicing Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 8:38pm by lemonicing

lemonicing Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:04am
post #1 of 4

How do you charge friends who asked you to do their wedding cake??? They haven't told me yet what they want except that they want 3 tiers to serve about 75 people. These are dear church friends, and I just do cakes out of my home. Should I just charge for the materials and make the cake as my wedding gift? Or should I not charge anything and offer it as my gift? Or charge like a business?

Thanks for any advice!

3 replies
indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:30am
post #2 of 4

Are you trying to build a wedding cake business or are you pretty much established?

When friends ask "Will you do my cake?" your first question should be, "SUre! How much are you looking to spend?" You can always offer to discount or not charge them at all, but at least put them on notice that they should not "assume" it's going to be a free cake.

I do cakes for my friends all the time. I give them the cake and an invoice.

diane Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 4

if it's a good friend, you can either give her a discount or do it as a gift. i would ask her what her price range was and then go from there.

lemonicing Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much, everyone! No, I'm not a wedding cake business or anything like that. I've been decorating cakes out of my home for about a year and don't sell them very frequently. This was my first wedding cake order ever. I love the tip to ask the couple for a budget. That'll be my next step! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%