We're Starting To Break Down

Lounge By jescapades Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 12:09am by lanibird

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:44am
post #1 of 15

dh and i have 2 1/2 twin boys, alex and jonathan. beautiful boys, love them so very much. this week has been a struggle and a challange for us. On Sunday, Alex comes down stairs and tells me a coin was in his mouth then went to his belly. We searched all over the house and came to find out that we think he swallowed a quarter. so i take alex to the er to have an xray. and there it was, a quarter in his belly. the worst part was the contraption they had to put him in to keep him still. it looked like a platic iron lung that he was strapped down with a leather strap, arms up and feet down. it scared me. (well, and him too, of course).

so they send us home, telling us to wait until he passes it. he's 2! how is he supposed to pass a quarter?!?! so i m going to wait a few days, then start making a stink.

if that's no enough, alex and jonathan were playing in thier room this morning, and i heard him scream at the top of his lungs. i went in and he was sitting on the floor, covered in blood with a gaping hole above his eye.

my mom called and told her i think he needs a stitch, so should said she was coming over right away. i called the dr. he said to bring him in right away. and i called dh to tell him what was going on.

at the dr's office, he opened it back up, stuck two needles of novocain right in it, the pushed the opening together and stitch it up. i almost passed out. Jonathan did excellent. he was such a good boy.

then, i come home to alex crying, he baught his finger in the screen door and cried for about 30 minutes. Then about half an hour later, jonathan falls off the table he was sitting on and landed on his head.

needless to say the boys are starting to finally be on the mend, but mommy is not doing well with all of this at all. i spent all last night crying, everything i looked at alex. and now, when i have to change jonathan's dressing, i know i will lose it.

please keep us in your thoughts and send some good vibes are way, so we can climb out of this funk we've fallen into.

Thanks so much!

jessica and the silvas

14 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:57am
post #2 of 15

boys...just gotta luv us....

especially when we're bleeding!

does it help you feel better to know that just this past week:

1) i took off tip of one finger trying to fix my jigsaw with it still plugged in?

2) that I feel and sprained wrist and banged knee while walking right through a big puddle?

or that I've got scars -- lots of them -- from various cuts, nicks, nails, glass, flipped bikes, rug surfing into the door frame (nice scar on head) ---- oh and the time i feel on a picket fence???? (that took 40 stitches and they just poured the Novocain in!)

----
quoting my sainted mom:

"NOW what did you do???? (exasperated, oy veh, tone!)

You're dripping!!! -- STOP that!

Clean it up!"

---

they'll be reveling in the "scars" later on -- all a part of being a boy (even still at 50+!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif)

---

best wishes, bandaids, and paper towels and mop for the drips!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:02am
post #3 of 15

Oh yes, the stories that mothers of boys can tell.... icon_cry.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

I know your pain. tapedshut.gif My older son (who was an young only child at the time) once calmly came into the bathroom where I was preparing for work and calmly announced that he had shoved a soldier's head up his nose.

A quick check in the living room did result in a headless green army soldier, so a quick trip to the ER was in order.

Unfortunately, the ER doc didn't have the right tools, so we had to see an ear-nose-throat doc the next day. With my son sitting quietly in my lap the doc had no trouble removing the nasal passage occluding bit of toy.

....and that's just one story... icon_rolleyes.gif

I find it helps to keep reminding yourself that they're only going to be little once. So try to enjoy the experience as much as you can. (These are the experiences that are going to make great "remember when" stories in the years to come.)

HTH

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:08am
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

(These are the experiences that are going to make great "remember when" stories in the years to come.)

HTH

or blackmail stories to tell the new girlfriend!

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:52am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

(These are the experiences that are going to make great "remember when" stories in the years to come.)

HTH

or blackmail stories to tell the new girlfriend!

Weddings! I have pictures all ready for slideshow presentations at both my boys weddings ... when and if they ever.

Try to keep your chin up, I know it can be hard. I remember sitting and crying thinking I can't keep doing this - but it did get better. Quiet times had me wondering what was heading our way next ... then they decided to take up snowboarding and BMX biking as hobbies ....sigh.

Oh yah ... my youngest son even had the toilet seat slam down on him (he would just 'rest' it on the porcelian (sp?)) when he was about 6 or 7. That was hard at the emerg. - do you laugh or cry? He avoided stitches and just had it 'taped' .... I didn't take a pict. of that one.

"Stay there! You'll get blood on the floor and I just washed them. How many stitches this time, and can it wait till after dinner?" was a common phrase in our house. It got so the ski hill just kept my oldest son's insurance information on file .... I am thankful they seem to have made it without any lasting damages however.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:01am
post #6 of 15

Oh it's not just boys....it's girls too. My dd's have given me heart failure more times then I can count. My youngest one is prone to falling on her nose on my hard wood floors and then has massive nose bleeds. She also rammed her front tooth threw her lip on our coffee table. Also my middle child got her finger slammed in the jamb of our door, plus fractured her foot stepping on a toy. Now she knows why I tell her to pick up her toys. My oldest dd went to the emergency room from smacking her head on the bottom of my parents coffee table. She had her gash on her forehead glued shut. My poor kids are accident prone. I guess it runs in the family because when I was 7 my tooth went through my lip from falling on the playground. I also shattered a glass on my hand while I was washing it. (My hand was inside the glass when it broke) It was so bad they couldn't even give me stitches. They were even talking skin grafts (sp?) What was worse is I was pregnant at the time and couldn't take anything for the pain except tylenol. What's the fun of getting hurt if you can't at least get the good pain killers. icon_lol.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:55am
post #7 of 15

sweety you have my up most sympathetic hugs and deff my prayers... I have 2 girls but they are rough and tumble.....and well, like you said, "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE NOW?" is very common, as well as trips to er and to mom's nursing bag for a fixer upper.
Try to take it one day at a time and remember, God doesn't ask us to do something he hasn't given us his grace to do.<<<sorry if I offended you by a religious comment>>>> meant with a mom's love. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:36am
post #8 of 15

I feel your pain and I wish I could tell you it gets better as they get older but it doesn't. You just have to have patience. If you don't you will go insane. I agree its not just boys anymore the girls are right there with the boys. I have two boys and one girl. I have been through broken collar bones,scratched cornea,stitches (on several ocassions),broken arm,two fractured skulls(boy and girl), something stuck up my daughters nose, and the list keep going. I have to say the worst was getting the call at 2:00 in the morning saying your son is ok but he has crashed his motorcycle. I lost a part of me that night. He survived and you wouldn't even know it happened today. So now I only have two at home 15 yr old boy and 12 yrd old girl and I swear the fight like cats and dogs but I know I will be so lonely when they get older an move out.
So my advise to you is things are going to happen and you just love them when it does. Make sure you have extra hugs and kisses. icon_biggrin.gif
Faye

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 15

Sounds expensive. I hope you have insurance!

My son swallowed a quarter when he was 2, and was fine. It passed (we never found it) and he's fine.

Hang in there! Being a mom is so hard sometimes......

kweenmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenmommy Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 15

First off ((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))).

Secondly I've been in your shoes. LOL Common phrases in our house are: "Are you bleeding?" if the answer is yes, "Do you need stitches?". And the ever popular, "Do you think it's broken?". I have ice packs ready in my freezer at all times. Multiple first aid kits on each floor of the house plus at least 2 in my car.

In my house it's gotten better & worse. The better is that the injuries don't happen as often, the worse they tend to be more severe.

((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 15

awww my son is close in age to your boys, so I understand where you are........... hope everything settles down really soon for you (I am one of 3 girls and all three of had stitches by the time we were 4, and my niece who is 6 has already had them twice---she is a terror in new shoes)!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #12 of 15

Motherhood is not for the faint of heart, is it?
Does it help at all to know that we ALL go through this, in one way or another? And that usually, everything ends up fine?

My daughter spent an Easter at the ER because her cousin accidentally wacked her with a tennis racket. My son almost took off his thumb with a jig saw (WHY do they have 7th grade shop class?). One niece found dry Kraft Macaroni and stuffed it up her nose. The other fell and broke her collar bone THREE times, doing silly things. I heard my 2 year old daughter singing the Mighty Mouse theme and realized he sang that everytime he FLEW, and raced up the steps to grab her just before "take off".

Hang in there. Write stuff down. Laugh about it later. That is how we survive!

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:32pm
post #13 of 15

thanks everyone! we are doing much better now! that same day my son had to get stitches, he fell off the table and my other son got his finger caught in the slider.

it was so much to deal with at once, but i am feeling much better now! thanks again!

l8nitecoffee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l8nitecoffee Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 7:45am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jescapades

thanks everyone! we are doing much better now! that same day my son had to get stitches, he fell off the table and my other son got his finger caught in the slider.

it was so much to deal with at once, but i am feeling much better now! thanks again!

Wow, I can't imagine what it's like to raise TWO boys when my 13 month old is giving me a run for my money. 2 nights ago my son was caught eating raw chicken skin out of the garbage and I thought salmonella here we come. Relieved to hear that you are doing much better now. I guess the upside to these scenarios is that when you make it out without having a complete breakdown, you can always look back and laugh. Kind of. icon_rolleyes.gif

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:09am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness_221

Oh it's not just boys....it's girls too.

Ain't that the truth! Oldest DD is 3, and she is worse than her 6 y/o brother! I have a pair of tweezers at my computer desk because she gets SOMETHING stuck up her nose every week. You could play connect the dots with the bruises on her legs. She refuses to watch where she is going, while running at top speeds. There is a chip in the plaster of one of the corners in my house where she triped, while running, and hit the corner with her mouth. There is a dent in one of the (rounded) corners of some built in shelves where she was backing up, tripped over a toy and banged her head against it. She's currently sporting a nice bruise scratch combo down the front of her face from running into a wall the other day. Twice she has jumped into our pool without floaties on. Luckily DH was a couple feet from her in the pool, and she has one of those swimsuits with the built-in chest floatie thing. She's had so many close calls, I'm surprised my heart hasn't given out.

To be fair, DS has had the more serious accident. DH let him play outside, unsupervised icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif , while I put baby DD down for a nap. He fell into the hole that later became our pool and broke his arm.

#3 (DD) is now running around, so I'm just waiting...

Hugs to you. We all feel your pain.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%