Getting Out Of Jail / Dui Cake

Decorating By MarciaStewart Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 5:09pm by AJsGirl

MarciaStewart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarciaStewart Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:44am
post #1 of 17

Yes, you read it right. I've been asked if I can come up with a cake to celebrate the customer's friend getting released from county jail after serving two weeks for a DUI conviction. Its kinda disturbed sounding, but he says its all in good fun. Any ideas with a getting out of jail theme?

16 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:48am
post #2 of 17

How about a Get Out of Jail Free card from Monopoly?

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:50am
post #3 of 17

How about a "Congrats on not killing anyone" cake? (Sorry, as someone who's been in a major car accident due to a drunk person hitting me, it's a sore spot. icon_sad.gif )

Anyways, back to helping YOU out. icon_smile.gif

How about a soap on a rope, or "Say goodbye to Bubba"...LOL. I really like the get out of jail card the previous poster mentioned.

Or how about one with a nail file sticking out of it?

Good luck on it, and let us know what you do! icon_smile.gif

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:32am
post #4 of 17

what about a cake that resembles the type of alcohol they were drinking? or a mug of beer all frothy at the top? And I think this is hilarious and I work at a police dept!! icon_lol.gif

Kim

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:04am
post #5 of 17

The Monopoly card sounds great, but the nail file is a hoot! Have a keyring like from Andy Griffith hanging from the cake, maybe too....?

Tacky as heck, but funny!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:37am
post #6 of 17

This is what is wrong with the world today......reminds me of my stupid ex-husband who I just found out last week let my 16 year old daughter(whom I sent to live with him for being in trouble for which she needed to be sent far from, for her own safety) have a party for a "friend" of hers that was just released from house arrest! WHAT??!!!(He and I also had a long conversation about that!!)

If this had been asked of from me, my first reaction would be to tell them they had a screw loose, and then to refuse to do it. And as a former "officer" of the court( I was a civil administrator and court clerk for 5 years) it just makes me want to give them the "Bonk**I shoulda had a V8" treatment!

I don't think it's funny in the least, or cute.........just plain stupid.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 17

I don't see how anything related to drunk driving can be "all in good fun", but I don't think you need to be told that this cake is in extremely poor taste (not literally icon_biggrin.gif ) Regardless you've agreed to do it, so I will offer the help you asked for. The monopoly card is cute, except the "get out of jail free" doesn't sit well with me because if he drinks and drives again I hope they throw his butt back in jail for 10x as long icon_twisted.gif I would make the jail corner of monopoly board and make a fondant version of the guy and stick him in "just visiting" icon_biggrin.gif

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 17

I think the soap on a rope and maybe something about "The Pokey" would be a fitting cake for such an offence! LOL

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:49am
post #9 of 17

Let me say this too:

I've done the paperwork, and interigated prisoners who have commited this same offense, and helped send them to jail, literally...I've also done the suspension, and/or revokation paperwork, and submitted it to the DMV in the state that I worked to take these kinds of people off the roads.

I have no "warm fuzzy" feelings or anything else that would let me partake in something that sounds or feels like support of it either.

Regardless of wether she accepted the order, she still has right of refusal. If it were me, and I thought that people might find out about it, I'd call this customer and tell them that you have changed your mind and tell them why.

It's the right thing to do....don't let the criminals win here ladies and gents...and if you "support" them, they do.

I'm a cops wife and sister to 2 as well, and I have seen first hand what this particularly careless type of peoples' attitudes can be. I've also seen what terrible results can come out of driving drunk. Having a party, or celebrating in this manner is just condoning their choice to do it.

Delphine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delphine Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:06am
post #10 of 17

This is NOT funny!
To me DUI = attempted murder!
a car is a weapon!

But you are not the one at fault and you are asking for help.....

I would write "Don't drink and drive.....you might spill your drink!"

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:17am
post #11 of 17

I know you didn't post this to have a lot of people have a negative opinion but I agree with others that I would have declined this cake. It's just not funny.

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:44am
post #12 of 17

I think that you should do something like the soap on a rope idea. It's cute and gets the point across. I'm sure after 2 weeks in jail he may have a different perspective on drinking and driving. Do your best and let us know how it turned out.
LaLa

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:46am
post #13 of 17

my twisted soul would want to do a couple of crashed up cars one with a baby on board sign on the back, a crumpled light pole and some body outlines. and a 'YOU F*(&*#$( COULD HAVE KILLED SOMEONE" possibly with a "next time a piece of cake for the road" underneath

now before you ya'll go and jump me, i think that it would depend on the attitude of the guy ordering it. The above scenario would be if he wanted to drive the message home. if the customer was laughing about it all I would have given him a talking to. I too have known people hurt in drunk driving accidents - our system sucks, people are repeat, repeat, repeat offenders until they kill themselves or others (and that doesnt even stop them sometimes)

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:50am
post #14 of 17

I would make it an angel food cake because an angel must have been protecting everyone near this customer's friend on the night he/she was busted... or I would make it in the shape of a cup of coffee (strong coffee).

In bad taste? Yes, but apparently, this particular baker needs the monies... we know she would not be doing this if she did not have to do it... Maybe she should include a card with AA information on it for them.

This cake should be presented by MADD to the customer's friend, wearing the pictures of their lost loved ones while serving it to him/her.

(My brother has been severely brain damaged from the age of 18 due to a drunk driver and is now 55, still receiving perpetual care from my parents who are in their 80's... ) Remember: Vengeance is not ours, but God's. Serve the cake with love and understanding that this is one sick alcoholic puppy and he/she needs to get well. After all, how many of us are without sin? Not I... and I am going to serve my enemies cake, even if I do not like them or what they do.

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:51am
post #15 of 17

Tell him to go to Walmart.
The cake is really in poor taste. It's not a joke, and the fact it's being taken that way is really sad.
I know that if I was approached about it, I would say 'Sorry, no-go'

There's a difference between fun, and just plain tasteless.

staceyssweettreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyssweettreats Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:01am
post #16 of 17

I agree with Dinas27. Do something that makes a point. Hopefully to drive home the point that he shouldn't do this again.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:09pm
post #17 of 17

My cousin was killed in a drunk driving accident. Left behind a 2 year old son that will never know his daddy. Sounds like a great occasion for cake. thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%