Sophiebelle's Jello Fondant Is Awesome!!!!!!

Decorating By gingersoave Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 8:55am by Verina

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 15

Has anyone tried making her Jello Fondant? I just made it, I used the watermelon jello and HOLY COW it's yummy!!!! Thank You Sophiebelle!!!!! Here is the link in case anyone wants to try it. I'm letting it rest overnight before I cover a cake with it. I used the glycerin so that it will have a little more stretch. It tastes just like watermelon and it's the perfect shade of light pink!!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3413-0-SophieBelles-Jello-Fondant.html

14 replies
disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:09am
post #2 of 15

Where do you purchase glucose?

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:04am
post #3 of 15

I keep meaning to try this recipe. Can I substitute corn syrup for the glucose, as I do when I make plain ol' fondant?

JMarieSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMarieSweets Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:36am
post #4 of 15

Ive seen glucose at Hobby lobby and Michaels

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:24am
post #5 of 15

i wanna know too if there's a substitute for glucose. icon_smile.gif

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:48am
post #6 of 15

Wow!!! Thanks for the link. I am gonna have to give this a try. Is the glucose mentioned the same as the liquid glucose that i use to transform chocolate into modellling chocolate?

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:37am
post #7 of 15

I use light corn syrup to make my modelling chocolate so perhaps they are exchangeable?

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:20am
post #8 of 15

that sounds yummy!!!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:41am
post #9 of 15

This is great. I'm gonna try it too. Thanks for the link.

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:49am
post #10 of 15

gingersoave: how big is the "1 small package of Jello Gelatin" that you used. I am from South Africa and am not sure that the measurements are the same as in the USA - if you can give me the weight I will covert it to grams and will be able to compare it to our local packets of Jello.
Thanks

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:01am
post #11 of 15

The short answerâ¦yes, you can substitute corn syrup for glucoseâ¦just pay attention to your water balance. (You can thicken corn syrup by heating to remove water.)

+++++
More than you ever wanted to know about corn syrupâ¦â¦

All corn syrups contain at least 10% waterâ¦some contain as much as 80% water. The companies do not need to list water in the ingredients.

Food-grade glucose such as that sold by Wilton usually contains one ingredient, âcorn syrup.â Products carrying the label âglucoseâ typically contain less water than the ânormalâ corn syrup you buy in the grocery store.

Not all corn syrups are the sameâ¦.

++ Basic corn syrup itself is classified into four types according to the amount of glucose it contains (D.E. = dextrose (glucose) equivalent)
Type I == 20 D.E. up to 38 D.E.
Type I == 38 D.E. up to 58 D.E.
Type III == 58 D.E. up to 73 D.E.
Type IV == 73 D.E. and above

++ The inverted corn syrups, high fructose corn syrups (like KARO Light Corn Syrup) are classified according to the fructose content (i.e. 42%, 55%, 90%).

Corn syrup is made by hydrolyzing corn starch.

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:06am
post #12 of 15

Verina,
The small box of JELL-O brand sold in the United States indicates that it has a net weight of 3 ounces, (85 grams). This is the JELL-O that contains sugar.

Verina Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:01pm
post #13 of 15

Peanut123:

Thanks - I thought so but wanted to make sure before I mess up a batch. Our standard packets are 80g and thus will work perfectly. We call it "jelly"...

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:05pm
post #14 of 15

Okay, what did I do wrong? I followed the directions, and could only get 3 lbs of sugar in, and it is a huge hard, crumbly mass.

It is 4 POUNDS of sugar and not 4 CUPS, correct?

Verina Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:55am
post #15 of 15

I had the same problem but added some more dissolved jelly and it worked. I had to work in the Crisco immediately and could not wait for it to rest an hour. It as a crumbly mess. After I added everything it came out very nice. Not so "stretchy" as the pettinice I am used to but it tasted like a dream. More like MMF. Will definately make it again. BTW I also used the Watermelon flavour ... MAN what a treat!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%