Huge Sheet Cake - Summer Themed

Decorating By pottedmeatchunks Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 2:49am by pottedmeatchunks

pottedmeatchunks Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 8

Hello all! I am in need of help for ideas for a summer themed sheet cake. The sheet cake will be approximately 2x3 FEET large, so very big. This party is for all the foster kids in my county for a mid June celebration (around the time school lets out) and I was just told to make it summer themed with no real guidance. I was thinking of mixing a combination of ideas because I dont want to just have a big beach since this is not a beach party. Maybe picnic with beach with pool with a school bus crashed into a tree, I don't know. I also haven't decided if I'm going to make this an entirely 2D cake or have 3D stuff stuck on there. Please bear in mind that this cake will be made on a MAJOR budget as I am only reimbursed expenses from a limited foster parents' association budget. A substantial portion of the cake will be made ahead of time and frozen decorated (in order to avoid certain chaos if I actually tried to make a cake of this size in a few days by myself, hah!) Thank you in advance for your help!!

7 replies
busymom9431 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 8

Why not keep it fairly simple.......I think you are on the right track with the mixed theme. I love the school bus into a tree idea. Then just add a few other things associated with summer. A bike, a trampoline?, a kite, a pond instead of a pool, a creek. I don't know where you are, city, country.........
Give us some more details and we can help some more!
The more 3D stuff you can find cheap will make it so much easier on you.

CNCS Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 8

A swimming pool theme?

A beach towel shape & design with sun tan lotion, sun glasses, sun hat and a book laid out to look like someone laid it out and went for a dip?

kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 8

Just a warning - make **sure!!** you can get any board that size thru any doors you need to pass thru. And/or into the vehicle it will be transported with. I have heard of some people having to take out windows to get a huge cake out of their house icon_smile.gif
You don't want that to happen icon_smile.gif
Think about completely decorating on site...where ever it will be served.

As for ideas - why not make the size a bit smaller by making the cake dbl layer and serving pieces 1x2x4 instead?
Cut down on the decorating area by making a frame inside the edges of the cake - about 2-3" in from the edge - pipe a border - can be as simple as small shells. Fill the area from the border to the edge w/jimmies or sprinkles of some kind or cornelli lace.

CNCS Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 8

That would be bad. Or sag when it is lifted.

OCakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 8

From experience: make SURE you use a strong enough board! My 1st full sheet cake wanted to crack in 1/2 almost, because the board was so weak. I never thought to double them up. Now I use 5 boards, taped or hot-glued together... and it makes for better presentation too. (or if you can use wood!)....... AND, if your cake is 2ft on one side, most entry doors are 3ft wide. I like the ideas people are listing above, but you sound like you may stress about it - do make parts in advance, and maybe sketch it out on paper to see what it would look like to make sure you're happy with it. I like to incorporate the sides of the cake too, like have a kid riding a bike/skateboard on the face side of the cake, or have a ball bouncing. Other "Summer" things I think of are dogs, bees, and I hope you have a huge sun on the cake, maybe some clouds....... I really would like to see how this turns out! Good luck with your decisions!

OCakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 8

From experience: make SURE you use a strong enough board! My 1st full sheet cake wanted to crack in 1/2 almost, because the board was so weak. I never thought to double them up. Now I use 5 boards, taped or hot-glued together... and it makes for better presentation too. (or if you can use wood!)....... AND, if your cake is 2ft on one side, most entry doors are 3ft wide. I like the ideas people are listing above, but you sound like you may stress about it - do make parts in advance, and maybe sketch it out on paper to see what it would look like to make sure you're happy with it. I like to incorporate the sides of the cake too, like have a kid riding a bike/skateboard on the face side of the cake, or have a ball bouncing. Other "Summer" things I think of are dogs, bees, and I hope you have a huge sun on the cake, maybe some clouds....... I really would like to see how this turns out! Good luck with your decisions!

pottedmeatchunks Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:49am
post #8 of 8

thanks for all your wonderful advice! this is not my first giant cake for the foster children so I learned my lesson about those cake boards. I will be buying a solid piece of .5 inch MDF and that should do the trick. I asked if they would take multiple cakes in place of 1 large sheet and the response was "well...they really like their huge cakes" haha so that is why I am sticking with the 2x3 footer. The cake is to feed 300ish so I'm making a double layer double full sheet cake (feeds 392). Decorating on site is not an option for various reasons unfortunately.

My main concern right now is keeping the cake in proportion. I have an initial idea let me know what you guys think. I could do an amusement park/summer fun theme with the pool, volleyball net, roller coaster, water slide into the pool, and I really want to incorporate the big sun idea in there I love that, I'm just not sure how to do it without it looking like it's coming out of the ground. Also I need a good corny slogan, something like "School's out, party like it's hot!" haha, I'm so lame icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%