Carved Duffle Bag Cake For 200 And 14 Rkt Baseballs - Price?

Decorating By SweetResults Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 3:06am by Doug

SweetResults Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 6

I start my fondant cakes at $4, I should start my carved cakes at $4.50. I talked with the customer about the $4 base price and that for sculpted/carved/fondant work it would go up depending upon what it is.

They want a 3D duffel bag for a Bar Mitzva with a baseball cap (also cake I think or could be RKTs), a RKT glove and gumpaste cleat sticking out of the bag, a bat (I'm thinking PVC covered in RKTs) and 14 RKT baseballs to hold the 14 taper candles to go around the cake.

They want smaller servings, so basically I was thinking of a cake for 144 which can be cut smaller to serve 216, plus a 6" round carved for the cap, cause some of the larger cake will be carved away in the beginning.

So we are looking at a $684 cake. I feel fine including the cleat and the glove in this price, but not the bat and baseballs. What do I charge for these? $5 each? That's another $75!!

These people are going to have a HEART ATTACK when I give them this price!! But I really don't know how to bring it down or if I really want to - what does everyone else think??

I mean it makes sense, I charged someone else $112 for a duffel bag for 25 people (the red one if I uploaded it into my pics)

Somebody help me get the guts to send this quote off! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Their tasting was last Thursday and I really need to get this to them- I HATE PRICING!!!! icon_cry.gif

5 replies
LNW Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 6

Be brave! That is a lot of work and you deserve to get paid well for it. Their request sounds so much like something I would see on Ace of Cakes. They have to know that with all those details they are going to pay a pretty penny for it. And if they didnât they will know soon enough! Donât go down in your price, youâre worth it.

I got a call from a woman last week looking for someone to make a dune buggy cake for her. She asked me about how much it would cost and I quoted her $4.00 per serving. She was shocked the price was so high so I explained all the work that would go into making something like that. The more I talked the less I wanted to do the cake lol. I recommended she contact another baker in my city who is well known for doing dramatic things like that. She had, and that baker, as she put it, was going to âcharge her through the noseâ for the cake. In the end, even though my price had been cheaper she went with the more expensive baker I had mentioned to her (found out through the grapevine). She felt more confident with the other baker because she was paying a higher price. You know, you get what you pay for and all that.

wgoat5 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 6

Laura go for it girl.. charge what you need to.. it's your time and it's ART!!!!

I'm sure they won't have ANY problem paying what you want.. you do suberb work!!!

TheButterWench Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 6

what they said. lol

Auryn Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:01am
post #5 of 6

charge what you need to charge
People spend CRAZY money for Bar Mitzva

I worked at an all Jewish country club for almost a year, the amount of money they spent on food for these parties would make u swoon

if they dont want to spend that much then they need to rethink their idea for the cake

Doug Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:06am
post #6 of 6

cake: $678
b-balls: $5@ = $70
bat: $20 (pvc isn't cheap! and it's big and has to be "just so"

so that's $768...rounded off to $770.

remember....Duff starts at $500....

and by the looks of your cakes ....

you could/should too!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%