Help Please- Key Lime Flavor Options

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 12:03am by HerBoudoir

mom42ws Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 7

i'm to make a graduation cake and they want a key lime filling. what flavors of cake/frosting would best compliment a key lime filling? and if you have a really good filling recipe, i'd love to hear it!

thanks
ashley

6 replies
Petit-four Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 7

A white cake would work well, and would be quite pretty. A butter/yellow cake might work too, or, if they really love citrus, a lemon or lime cake.

Here's a key lime filling (but it should be kept refrigerated overnight):

Key Lime Mousse: makes 2 ½-3 cups

o 1 cup heavy cream
o 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
o ½ cup lime juice (key lime is best)
o 1 T (1 packet) gelatin
o ¼ cup sugar
o Grated lime peel
o 1 drop McCormick food coloring (green) â optional

o Beat heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk until fluffy (3-4 minutes)
o In small saucepan on low, heat lime juice, gelatin until dissolved
o Add sugar, stir until dissolved.
o Add in thin stream to cream and milk. Beat 2-3 minutes. Add lime peel and coloring.
o Refrigerate to set.

mom42ws Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 7

great, thanks! what buttercream flavor would best compliment the key lime filling??

Petit-four Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 7

You can squeeze some fresh lime juice into your butter-cream (maybe 1 or 2 T for a batch) for a nice taste -- it's very subtle, and helps makes the BC less sweet. Of course, use in place of other flavorings. It doesn't color the icing in that amount. I think there's another discussion about lime cakes on another forum (general?), and another filling recipe was posted too.

Hope this helps...sounds like a delicious cake! icon_smile.gif My husband's favorite cake is lime as well.

mom42ws Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 7

thanks so much for the suggestion!!

ashley

Petit-four Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:17pm
post #6 of 7

You're welcome. icon_biggrin.gif

HerBoudoir Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:03am
post #7 of 7

I make key lime curd, and also use just a touch of green food coloring in it. It's bright yellow because of the egg yolks and looks too much like lemon curd otherwise. Since I can't get good fresh key limes here, I do use bottled key lime juice. You can also sometimes buy key lime curd already made.

My favorite pairing = coconut cake. Mmmmmm....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%