Do Any Of You Ship Cakes?

Business By aprilcake Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 1:34am by beachcakes

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 8

I have two clients, one in IL and one in MO (I am in OH) who want cakes from me. One is a sheet birthday cake and another one is a wedding cake. I have never shipped cakes before and it scares me but I know its been done and people do it. Have you and if so, what exactly is the whole process of doing it and what do you use and do? thanks!

April :0)

7 replies
mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 8

yes, i would like info on this as well. i've had interest in my cupcake bouquets being shipped.

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 8

I have shipped a few. One even to Canada, made it A-ok!
I havent shipped a stacked cake.... only rounds.

I cover the cake in fondant, will not ship a cake in buttercream only. Be careful with the decorations. Obviously, Stringwork isnt going to make it!

I wrap the cake in saran wrap several times over. Place it in a bakers box and cram peanuts galore in the bakers box. I then put the bakers box inside a very good cardboard box and again, cram peanuts in it.

One cake...the FedEx man delivered UPSIDE down, even there were arrows all over the place and the cake wasnt harmed one bit!

And I give the recepient the tracking number immediately.

Hope this helps some.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 8

I shipped two 6" cakes from NY to FL for my goddaughters. The pink minnie mouse ones in my photos. They were fondant covered and frozen. Like smab109, they were wrapped really well in plastic wrap, then bubble wrap. Each cake was placed in a box w/ packing peanuts. Then these boxes were placed in a larger box with more packing peanuts/bubble wrap. I overnighted by the postal service. And, even with all the arrows and this side up's all over it, the postman carried it sideways...

Oh, and it cost $49 to overnight two 6" round cakes!

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 8

Does the plastic wrap go directly on the fondant?

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:39am
post #6 of 8

the only place the plastic wrap really touches is the top of the cake. i wrap it around the cake board. didnt mess it up or cause any bleeding.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:54am
post #7 of 8

I shipped one from Texas to Massachusetts. The reason it didn't arrive intact was my fault for putting it on too big a board, so that it had too much room to be able to move. You can see the before and after pics at www.cakedalaska.com and see the entry "The Cake's In The Mail."

Deanna

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #8 of 8

I froze the cakes solid, then wrapped in plastic wrap. I instructed my friend not to take the wrap off until she saw there was no condensation on the wrappings. Then being careful not to touch the fondant, let it air dry the rest of the way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%