Opinions From Scratch Bakers

Decorating By beccakelly Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 8:39pm by beachcakes

beccakelly Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 10

i bake from scratch, and take great pride in my recipes. i've been baking on thursdays for saturday weddings, but i've gotten to the point that i'm so busy that still doesn't give me enough time! i'm going to have to start baking on wednesday just to have enough time to finish them all. i did this for the first time just a week or so ago. i heard back from one of my brides who said the cake was delicious. but i'm just a little concerned about freshness, since there are no preservatives. do other scratch bakers out there bake on wednesdays? do you think they'll still taste great by saturday? i wrap them well in saran after baking then i torte and brush with simple syrup as soon as i can.

9 replies
Sarsi Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 10

I think what you do is fine...Sometimes, ( I dont know how you feel about this) but I'll wrap in saran wrap and put in the freezer, even if it's just for a day. That helps as well!

Kristi_Edwards Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 10

I have had two cake decorating instructors who insist on us freezing our cakes as soon as they come out of the oven. The idea being that the steam will be trapped inside the cake, making it more moist when it is thawed.

busymom9431 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 10

I agree with Sarsi. Freeze them, even if it is for a day. Or maybe you'll find you can bake Monday or Tuesday and they will still be great.

pianocat Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 10

I find that the cakes I've made do well if I freeze them (double wrapped). Actually more moist that way.

beccakelly Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 10

i'm not going to fight the freezing battle. maybe its regional, but here the brides are very adamant that the bakers don't freeze. i'm already fighting the fondant battle, i'm not going to add teh freezing cakes. i've read the local bridal message boards and they attack bakers who freeze. for that reason i'm very clear when i state i don't freeze, and im not going to.

i know that i've read on here from mix users that they bake on wednesday all the time. i really just want to know if scratch bakers feel comfortable and confident about it too.

beccakelly Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 10

oh, and i forgot to mention that while freezing cakes make them more moist it also makes them more dense. scratch cakes are already more dense, so i don't want to freeze in order to keep them as light as possible.

cakeguru Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 10

I'd like to dare all those brides who attack bakers who freeze to do a blind taste test and PROVE that they can tell the difference, or better yet, see them NOT pick the cake that was frozen as the best tasting and texture!

Some of the top bakers in my area INSIST on freezing as soon as the cake is warm to the touch out of the oven. Its way more moist and delicious.

RRGibson Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:03pm
post #9 of 10

I was staunchly against freezing when I first started. And then I heard some people here say that it actually helps with the moistness of the cake. I've found that to be true so I will bake early in the week and freeze the cakes for a couple days. It's better that way for me because I still work full time. I've never had a complaint.

beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 10

Scratch cakes tend to dry out as the days go by, even with simple syrup. Can you bake up a small cake for yourself and test it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%