Need Advice On This Please..............

Decorating By bashini Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 7:28pm by beachcakes

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I'm doing this wedding cake. It's a turqoise colour and gold scroll work. I posted a photo of that cake few weeks ago. Most of you may have seen it.

So today I made a dummy cake and posted a photo. Anyway I have attatched that photo here, for whoever hasn't seen it.

This is the first time I did scroll work. As you can see its NOT GOOD. The tip I used to do this is 2# tip. And I coloured them with gold colour and there are bits of gold on some place on the cake.

So I'm in need of advice on how to get this scroll work much better looking please..............

Thanks in advance.
LL

6 replies
Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 7

You can try marking the pattern first using spomething like the Decorator Favorites Pattern Press Set from wilton and then piping.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 7

I would try thinning your icing out and don't go slow. If you go slow it tends to not look as nice.

showersfamily4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
showersfamily4 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 7

From the picture, the gold looks great. How did you color it? Before or after you piped?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 7

The only thing that's going to help is practice. You can try the pattern press, but I find that you go slow and it gets messy when you are trying to follow the pattern. Confidence is what you need. The quicker you go the better it looks. So practice practice practice... and do so on a vertical surface.. mixing bowls, cake pans, anything you can find.

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 7

I use the wilton press set for scrolls and it has helped me. Also, try using a no 1 tip. It really does make a huge difference. I do agree that you should move a little faster so you don't get the wiggly effect.....if that makes any sense.

I think the gold is looking nice....please share what you did to get the colour.

Good luck with your cake

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 7

I've been told that the faster you go, the better the scrolls. Sounds counter-intuitive doesn't it? But it works somehow! Think of scrolls as C's and S's and use your whole arm instead of your wrist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%