Cookie Icing Question

Baking By chachagyrl22 Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 5:10am by Honeydukes

chachagyrl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chachagyrl22 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 6

Can anybody tell me how to get the royal icing to be smooth on the cookie? I made some cookies last night but the icing is not smooth. I had a problem getting the consistency right...please help. TIA Chacha

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to Cake Central. it helps to thin the royal, just bit, and apply it with a squeeze bottle. It will spread easier and give you a smoother surface.

Check out the articles section for a demo on decorated cookies. It has recipes and instructions.

chachagyrl22 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for the help. I thinned it and I used a number 4 tip but it doesn't look really smooth as the ones I have seen. I'll keep trying though. thanks again. Chacha

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 6

It really doesn't matter how you apply the royal icing. If the icing still isn't smooth it's the consistency that's messing things up, not the application. Just keep thinning it even more to get it to look smooth. It should be thick Elmer's glue consistency!! You might also need to outline to create a "dam" so your fill will be thick enough to settle smooth. Good luck to you. icon_smile.gif

chachagyrl22 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 6

Ok. Sounds like I'm having trouble with the consistency because when I thin it down it leaks out of the tip and it's a mess. thumbsdown.gif Thanks for the help. Chacha

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:10am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinccc

It really doesn't matter how you apply the royal icing. If the icing still isn't smooth it's the consistency that's messing things up, not the application. Just keep thinning it even more to get it to look smooth. It should be thick Elmer's glue consistency!! You might also need to outline to create a "dam" so your fill will be thick enough to settle smooth. Good luck to you. icon_smile.gif

Are your outline and fill the same consistency? I can get the flood smooth, but my outline always looks, I don't know pick a word: tacky, choppy, craggy, lumpy, jerky, knobby, or even angry. (These sound like the Seven Dwarfs from Bizarro World, don't they?) icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%