Do You Think This Would Be Tacky?

Business By Lenette Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 12:12am by indydebi

Lenette Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 9

My husband created my website and it's really nice. However, he has been busy and has not updated it for MONTHS. It's really annoying me. So, I was thinking about setting up an online photo album like flickr or something. My concern is this, I am one of the more expensive cake people here and I want to set myself up as more "high end". Do you all think that doing this reflects poorly in any way or takes away from that at all?

Do you have any opinions at all? Suggestions for sites for the album? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
meancat Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 9

I do forsure. In my mind, I think - they are going to charge me x.xx amout for a cake, and they cant even have a legit website?! If its worth it to you, I would just hire someone to update it and pay them like $200 a month to keep it updated. I'm sure its not that expensive, but well worth it. As a former bride myself, I wouldn't even bother looking at someones website if it didn't look professional.

peacockplace Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 9

I don't like sites where you have to go to another site. You are a high end designer so your site should reflect that. thumbs_up.gif

JulieB Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 9

I agree, if I am looking at a site and have to leave it, I don't bother. I think you should maybe pay someone to maintain it, or learn how yourself. There are classes all over.

indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 9

I'm going to disagree with most of you. I have a "regular" website and a "click here for more photos" which takes you to a Flickr site.

Flickr is a site designed for photographers, so it's set up to hold a LOT of photos. To me, it's no different than having more than one photo album for brides to flip thru ... wedding album, birthday album, etc.

I don't think "click here" and going to another site is any different than "click here" to be taken to another page in your website ... you can still hit the back button and come back the original website.

What drives me nuts are the sites that have their cakes categorized to the finite detail and I can't tell what category I need to click on to see the cake. icon_eek.gif I usually just leave the site .... I'm not going to work that hard to see a cake. (Celebration cakes ... birthday cakes .... special occassion cakes .... to me, those are all the same thing ... why 3 categories? icon_confused.gif )

My calendar is not hurting for business and none of my brides have ever commented on a problem going to my FLickr site. Most comment on how they LUV being able to see all of the photos, especially the ones of the reception sites, which I would never have room for on my regular site.

If Flickr or MySpace is your ONLY website .... maybe that makes a difference. But I do have a formal business website ... my Flickr site is a supplemental site just to hold the photo overflow.

Other than MySpace, I've never gone to a website and thought "Geesh, can't they afford a REAL website?"

ccr03 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 9

I'm gonna have to agree with both trains of thought. I can see where is you are striving to be a high-end cake designer and tailor to that class, then yes, they may expect you to have an ultimate, super-classy site - and NOT depending on outside sources. But I think that is a very specific type of market anyway.

I thing I try to do in every business thing I do is put myself in my target audience's shoes. If I were them, what would I expect?

johnniekake Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 9

Im gonna disagree....................Rosebud Cakes (out of California) has a website and uses Flikr for their overflow pictures..............LOVE going to this site and seeing the new cakes every week.............and they are VERY HIGH END................and AWESOME at what they do!!

Doug Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:11am
post #8 of 9

label the link in an upscale "fun" manner...

"the other 1,000,000 cakes"

"just too many pictures to all fit here..."

"cake surfeit" or "surfeit cakes"

"the bulging scrapbook"

"the ever expanding scrapbook"

"some day my prints will come"

"see what happens when you turn me loose w/ a camera!"

indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:12am
post #9 of 9

Doug, I LUV the last one! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%