Curious About The Tip On Baking At 400 Degrees

Decorating By pamconn Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 9:29pm by beccakelly

pamconn Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 9

My cousin e-mailed me about a book she bought called Cakes in half the time-or something like that,(she couldn't remember) but she said that the author interviewed bakers and that the recipes call for baking the cakes at 400 or more as one of the time saving tips. What do you all think about this? Do people really do this?

8 replies
tiggy2 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 9

I don't, I bake at 325 degrees. It takes longer but no dry, crusty edges and it's done in the middle. I would think 400 degrees would burn the edges and be doughy in the center.

ps3884 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 9

I also always bake @ 325. I've never heard of baking @400 to save time. I think it would affect the quality.

avenje Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 9

You could speed up cooking but you can't speed up baking. You would end up with a huge dome because the outside would bake the fastest and dry out. I wouldn't recommend it. I stick to 325 and make sure to have a thermometer in the oven and keep adjusting as I'm baking b/c ovens never stay at the temp that the knob indicates.

Amia Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 9

I have actually done this (when I was younger icon_redface.gif ). I don't recommend it unless you want the worst cake in the world!! They do make pans you can use in the microwave. I haven't, and wouldn't, use them, but they'd probably be faster than the oven. Or try a convection oven. The fan in the convection oven moves the hot air around, which allows you to cook a cake at 325 but in less time. This also provides more even baking. My grandma has TWO. I go to her house a lot to bake my cakes icon_biggrin.gif

pamconn Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 9

Well, that's what I thought, but my cousin thought that because the author interviewed bakers and got paid to write the book that she knew what she was talking about. The author says that the cakes don't dome but come out frisbee shaped.... icon_confused.gif I am putting my trust in you all here and am keeping my baking at 325. I was just wondering if there was something that I was missing or not understanding. It's hard sometimes when you are learning a new skill and don't have the confidence and "cake civilians" are telling you that you don't know what you are talking about.

Thanks for the replies.

indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 9
Originally Posted by pamconn

It's hard sometimes when you are learning a new skill and don't have the confidence and "cake civilians" are telling you that you don't know what you are talking about.

The fact that they are a cake civilian and they don't do this for a living negates their opinion anyway! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

It's like we are always telling our teenage daughter when she argues "Well, so-and-so said.....!" We ask her, "Is this person smarter than you? Is she the same age as you? Does she go to the same school with the same teachers and the same classes and the same books? Then why do you think she knows more than you? Why are you taking HER word for it?" icon_confused.gif

pamconn Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 9

Well, I have been thinking of just saying, "indydebi says so and if its good enough for her..."

beccakelly Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 9

LOL, i've read that book! its called "cakes from scratch in half hte time". a total waste. at first, i was awed that it could be true. its so not! i baked a cake at 400 at her direction. it was flat as a frisbee all right, and about as hard as one! i bake at 300 in a convection oven. now theres baking in half the time! 18-20 min to bake an 8" cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%