Let's Share Our Low Calorie/low Fat Favorite Meals

Lounge By butternut Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 12:50pm by butternut

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 10

I know that there are several "lose weight" threads in the lounge and I thought it would be a great idea to post some of our favorite recipes for some good nutritious meals. I know that Weight Watchers has some good recipes but I thought that some tried and true recipes from each other would be a good idea. I'll start with my favorite chicken.

thin chicken breast
taco seasoning packet
salt and pepper
small amount of flour

mix taco seasoning mix, (about half of pkt), salt and pepper into flour
dredge the chicken into the flour mixture
Fry the chicken in a pan with 1 tablespoon or less of olive oil.

That's it. It's really good, low calorie and moist.
OK, now it's your turn... icon_lol.gif

9 replies
Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 10

Here's one of my favorite low fat/low calorie recipes. The nutritional info is at the bottom

INGREDIENTS
* 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
* 4 cups water
* 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
* 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
* 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
* 1 medium sweet red or green pepper, diced
* 1/3 cup chopped onion
* 1-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
* 1 cup frozen peas
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper

SERVINGS   8   
  CATEGORY   Lower Fat   
  METHOD   Slow Cooker   
  PREP   10 min.   
  COOK   435 min.   
  TOTAL   445 min.   

DIRECTIONS
In a nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water, spaghetti sauce, beans, summer squash, carrots, red pepper and onion; mix well. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in the pasta, peas, sugar, salt and pepper; mix well. Cover and cook on high for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender. Yield: 8 servings

NUTRITIONAL INFO

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1-1/3 cups) equals 276 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,111 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 10

I'll play! Here is mine, it's a Weight Watchers recipe.

Oven "Fried" Chicken

1/2 c. FF buttermilk
1/2 c. cornflakes, crushed
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 # chicken parts, skinned (I use breasts)
4 tsp. canola oil

Preheat oven to 400. Spray large cookie sheet with Pam.

Pour buttermilk into a shallow bowl. on a sheet of wax paper, combine the cornflakes, flour, salt and pepper. Dip the chicken in the buttermilk, then dredge in the cornflake mixture, coating completely. Place chicken on cookie sheet, and drizzle with oil. Bake 30 minutes, then turn the pieces over and cook 15-20 minutes more.

Sometimes I sprinkle my chicken with seasoning salt after dipping in buttermilk, and spray a wire rack and place on sheet, then you don't have to turn the chicken.

Per serving: 229 calories, 10g fat, 11g carb

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:42am
post #4 of 10

Homemade vegetable soup with lots of root veggies! Serioiusly one of the most healthy things ever loaded with antioxidants and vitamins. A true super food.

My husbands favorite- spinach salad with sliced mango, shredded roasted chicken, tomato and balsamic vinegrette.

Have you ever seen the loony spoons, crazy plates, or eat, shrink and be merry cookbooks? they are written by a couple of canucks (like me!) very very good for low fat cooking. They are also on the food network in canada, if you go to www.foodnetwork.ca some of their recipes are posted. their show is named after their last cookbook eat, shrink and be merry.
I love the moussaka recipe - I substitute ground turkey, omit the feta and puree cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Yum Yum.

butternut Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 10

Hey guys. Great recipes. dinas27 - I just went to that website. Great recipes there. I just copied the one for the crab cakes. They sounded really good.
Anyone else who has some great low cal recipes, please share them with us.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:12am
post #6 of 10

Butternut, your recipe reminds me of one a friend shared with me once in a way. It involves chicken and the taco seasoning.

4 Chicken breasts
1 package taco seasoning
6 or 8oz low fat plain yogurt
Low Fat Cheese

You mix the yogurt with the taco seasoning and spread on the chicken breasts. You can cook them on a foil covered cookie sheet for easy clean up. Bake at 350 for 30mins or until no longer pink (depends on the size of the chicken breasts. Then top with cheese. You can use cheddar or what ever mexican cheese you like.

butternut Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 10

TexasSugar - that recipe sounds GREAT!! You can bet I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing.

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 10

There are no exact measurments for this recipe, as they vary depending on the size of the salmon fillet.

* Salmon Fillet
* Kraft Roasted red pepper and parmasean dressing
* Garlic
* Green onion
* Red pepper
* cilantro

Place the salmon in a baking dish and brush both sides with the dressing. Set aside and heat the oven up to 400* f.

Meanwhile dice the garlic and red pepper, finely slice the green onion and roughly chop the cilantro. Sprinkle everything evenly over the salmon fillet. Cover the baking dish with tin foil. Once the oven is heated place baking dish in and cook until the salmon is done. Remove the foil for the last 5 minutes of cooking.

It's my go to dish to impress company, and the left overs (i always make extra) are great in a salad the next day.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:42am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

TexasSugar - that recipe sounds GREAT!! You can bet I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing.

You are welcome. icon_smile.gif

butternut Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 10

Peachshortcake - that sounds like a great salmon recipe. I love salmon but it is usually doused in LOTS of butter icon_rolleyes.gif I've never seen the Kraft red pepper and parmaesan. Gotta go looking. Thanks so much for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%