What's Your Favorite Mmf?

Decorating By yellobutterfly Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 5:25pm by smbegg

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 10

Please post your favorite mmf recipe - I've tried a recipe I found in the wilton forums atleast 3 times, and just wasn't happy with it. It was ok at first, then when I tried to use it after it sat a few days, it wasn't the same...

I want a recipe that will both cover cakes and can be used for simple decorations as well (diamond cut-outs, flowers). I've bookmarked Rhonda's, but haven't tried it yet - just wondering what all you mmf pros use so I could save myself some time trying recipes! tia

9 replies
misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 10

My favorite is the easiest one 2 lbs. of mini marshmallow, 6 cup of powder sugar 1 tbs of water and 1 tbs of any flavor. I melt the marshmallow with the water and i put the flavor with the sugar and star kneading, some times í need more than 6 cups of sugar. if you have any question pm.

yellobutterfly Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 10

thanks, how much cake will this cover? do you knead by hand or w/KA?

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 10

I do a lot of cookies with MMF and my favorite is Rhonda's Ultimate. I have never had a failure with it and I also add a Tbs. of crisco to the mixture. I use my KA and dough hook to do it completely so I don't have to knead it by hand. I tried Michelles this week just to see what it was like, and I have to say it was very good. It has a much softer texture and I assume that for covering cakes, it would be the best. I am afraid that it might be a little too soft and elastic for my cookies, but I will try it out this weekend. It was more expensive to make and a much bigger mess in my kitchen, but that's just my "humble" opinion. It's fun just to try all the different recipes that everyone so generously shares on CC.
Lily

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 10

16 oz mm's
2 lb PS
2 T water
1 t salt
1T glycerine
1 dram LoRann butter flavor

yellobutterfly Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:46am
post #6 of 10

Thanks everyone for the input, now I have to decide which one to try first, lol.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:40am
post #7 of 10

I hadn't realized there were so many recipes for it.

This is what I use:

16oz Kraft Marshmallows
2lbs powdered sugar
3 or 4 tablespoons water
1 tbsp powdered Adams clear vanilla

and 1/2 cup crisco for greasing up the bowl and hook

I melt the marshmallows with the water in the microwave in a bowl that was sprayed with nonstick spray. Then I grease the KA bowl and dough hook with 1/4 c crisco. The marshmallows go in the bowl first, then the powdered sugar and flavoring. I mix until it starts to stick to the bowl, then pull it out and regrease the bowl with another 1/4 cup of crisco and mix again until it looks nice and smooth. It comes out too soft to work with, but once you have let it rest overnight, it's perfect.

I tried before putting the sugar in first and then the marshmallows, but it didn't work well at all (I thought maybe it wouldn't stick that way, I was wrong).

I'm going to try making a butter mint fondant soon...add butter and mint flavorings to my regular recipe. I don't think most people would really like it, but my mom will icon_biggrin.gif

yellobutterfly Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 10

texas rose - how long do you microwave for? if you have mmf leftover, can u save and reuse ? also, how much cake does this recipe cover and does it model well? thanks!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 10

I use Rhonda's Ultimate from here on CC. It's the only one I've ever used and find it tastes delicious and is extremely easy to make. I've also never had any issues with it. It's best if allowed to rest overnight and I'll toss it back in the microwave for a few seconds to let it be easier to work with. Just be careful because it can get very hot!!

What I love the most about it is being able to mix in my color in the liquid part before adding the sugar. Much less messy and so much easier.

Also, this is a must thread for MMF.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-521083-mmf.html

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:25pm
post #10 of 10

I use Texas Rose's recipe, but I add a 1-2 T of shortening to the the MMf during mixing and use 2 T of water and 1T of clear liquid vanilla.

I mix it all in my KA without a problem. Then I let it rest for atleast 4 hours or it is too soft and stretchy to use.

Stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%