What Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By robin5568 Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 6:11am by joy5678

robin5568 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robin5568 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 12

I was asked by a co-worker to make a wedding cake similar to this one for her and I don't even have a guess as to what to charge. I don't want to charge like it's a business but not sure what will be fair and reasonable. I would appreciate some suggestions.
LL

11 replies
kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 12

What size is it?? 6",8",and 10"??

keades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keades Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 12

I was charged like a business when I asked a friend to do my cake even when I tried to cut it down as much as possible by offering to buy the specialty cake pan and all the cake mixes. From this end I would suggested you think about what you want her to pay for. Do you just want her to cover the financial cost and have your gift to her be your time spent on the cake. Or do you want to be compensated for it all. You don't want to feel like you have been taken advantage of or like you are taking advantage of her. Also a lot of places charge by the serving, this is another way that you could figure up a price. Good luck and I hope all works out well! icon_smile.gif

robin5568 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robin5568 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 12

It is 6, 8, and 10" cakes, and she isn't a friend she is a co-worker, however she falls in the category of more then co-worker less then friend. LOL, surely there is such a catagory.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 12

thats an aquaintance
I think you should charge her like a business

If she asked you to do it that means she recognizes your talent.
If she blanches at the price that means she was expecting to guilt you into doing it for free.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 12

i would charge at least $250.00-$300.00. icon_lol.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 12

My price would be $4.00 per serving and adjust the sizes to how many servings she needs.

So if it is a 6, 10, 12 then I would charge $176.00, plus the cost of the roses - or she could provide those.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:33am
post #8 of 12

Maybe you could let her know what your rate is per serving and if you want offer her a discount because of your relationship. Or you could keep it strictly business.

In case you need it here's a link for # of servings:

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/index.cfm

Good Luck!

icon_biggrin.gif

stellastarchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellastarchild Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:49am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

My price would be $4.00 per serving and adjust the sizes to how many servings she needs.

So if it is a 6, 10, 12 then I would charge $176.00, plus the cost of the roses - or she could provide those.

That would be my price too for a "simple" cake like this one, and if I really liked her I´d offer a small discount.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:38am
post #10 of 12

I would be between $3.50 and $4 a serving depending on the filling for this cake.

I give 10% discount to friends/family when I want to give a discount. I also usually deliver for free depending on who it is -- that is quite a cost savings in it self.

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:07am
post #11 of 12

No discount, full price, 20% extra for RF.... $704

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:11am
post #12 of 12

I have just recently gone back into cake decorating after a long time away from it. To get the word out, I'm giving an introductory price to first time customers (plus I get to practice & experiment on them). When they pick up their cake I have been sure to explain to them that the real price on their cake would have been $_____. I secure a price list to the cake box & let them know that its there when they are ready to order another cake. That takes me off the hook for the next one & since they see the prices they won't expect a "cheapie". I also have been telling them that if they want to order from a cheap place that its OK with me & my feelings won't be hurt. It seems to clear the air and make us both feel at ease with the whole situation. Does this sound OK to you gals? Any other suggestions? Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%