Mixing Luster Dust & Royal Icing???

Decorating By noosie Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 4:44pm by MikeRowesHunny

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever mixed luster dust with royal icing. I would like to do some gold ornate piping unto a cake. In the past I would just pipe on white RI than brush over it with luster dust dilute with vodka. I never really get that clean uniform look though. Any suggestions on how to get a uniform shimmery gold color to use for piping?? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

TIA

5 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 6

I would like to see if anyone has a good idea for this as well. When I have tried to mix luster dust with royal all I got was an odd color with no luster. It also took a large amount to even get any color.

Thanks for posting the question.

Michele

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 6

you ladies read my mind, I was thinking of this last night for some gold work I have to do... hopefully someone will chime in for us!

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 6

I just came across this site. Click on the video link to see how she uses luster dust.

http://kitchengifts.com/lustredust.html

Normally I put the vodka right into the dust. I wonder if this way will make it more uniform???

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 6

I mix Luster Dust with piping gel when I need to pipe shimmer. You just add the dust until you achieve the tone you want. It can take a lot of dust sometimes.
HTH

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 6

The trick is to start with your RI/fondant coloured to a similar colour as your mettalic lustre - so golden yellow for gold, grey for silver etc, then when you paint with lustre it gives it a much more even look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%