How Do I Make The Tissue Paper Effect

Decorating By minkiemoo Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 1:06am by ReesesCupcakes

minkiemoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minkiemoo Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:45am
post #1 of 15

The stuff that sticks out of the shoe box cakes.

Am I right in thinking it is fondant? I was thinking that I could dry it on foam over some dowels or scrunched up cling film to get the rippled effect. Am I on the right track??? should I add a little cmc/tylose to make it stiffer?

Any advice gratefully received, this is for my Mother's birthday cake so I really want to impress as she is so darn hard to please.

14 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:51am
post #2 of 15

Yes - you should use fondant with tylose added (or gumpaste). If you have a pasta machine it works wonderfully to make a very thin 'tissue.' You can dry in directly on the cake so you achieve the drape you want, and use any of the mediums you mentioned for shaping. Good luck - I'm sure mom will love it!!

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 15

You can also use rice paper. I dampened it just slightly w/ a damp washcloth (don't get it too wet or it'll dissolve) and put it in the "box". Then I dusted it w/ super pearl dust when it had totally dried.

minkiemoo Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you so much for your replies, I am really looking forward to making this cake. I am going to start making the shoe to go with it tomorrow icon_eek.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdessert1st

You can also use rice paper. I dampened it just slightly w/ a damp washcloth (don't get it too wet or it'll dissolve) and put it in the "box". Then I dusted it w/ super when it had totally dried.

What a clever idea. How do you shape it or when it's wet does it just drape naturally?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 15

Yes, I too use modelling paste/gum paste. You have to roll it very thin. so you get the real tissue effect. looking forward to see a photo.

Good Luck!

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdessert1st

You can also use rice paper. I dampened it just slightly w/ a damp washcloth (don't get it too wet or it'll dissolve) and put it in the "box". Then I dusted it w/ super when it had totally dried.

What a clever idea. How do you shape it or when it's wet does it just drape naturally?

When it's damp I gently crumple it up and prop it up in a real box to dry in the shape I want. Remember to *just* dampen the paper so it doesn't dissolve.When it's dry brush on super pearl dust w/ a brush. HTH

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 15

For my tissue on my boxes I rolled my fondant very thin and cut them in varied sqaures and triangles, no need to be neat. You can crumple up some real tissue or use a plastic bag and lay your pieces on it so that they dry in different shapes. I also dusted the edges pink.
LL

minkiemoo Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 15

Drying them on a crumpled plastic bag is a stroke of genius icon_biggrin.gif thank you so much for the tip.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

For my tissue on my boxes I rolled my fondant very thin and cut them in varied sqaures and triangles, no need to be neat. You can crumple up some real tissue or use a plastic bag and lay your pieces on it so that they dry in different shapes. I also dusted the edges pink.

i love you hat box cakes... im thinking to make one for mothers day. how much would a cake like this go for?

ladyonzlake Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 15

I have sold my gift box cake for $80 but I think I'm going to raise the price to $100. The ones that I have made serve 20 and are an 8" square.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 15

thanks for the info.
if you can you need to def raise your prices
your cakes are beautiful.

ladyonzlake Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 15

Awww...thanks for the compliment on my cakes! icon_redface.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:46pm
post #14 of 15

Ladyonzlake, with all due respect, you should be charging over $100 for that cake. Heck, I live in Iowa (where people are fairly cost conscious) and they'd still be willing to pay that for your artwork.

ReesesCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReesesCupcakes Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #15 of 15

That cake is fabulous.... I wouldn't even know how to begin making that...any tips?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%