How Do I Make The Tissue Paper Effect

Decorating By minkiemoo Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 1:06am by ReesesCupcakes

minkiemoo Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:45am
post #1 of 15

The stuff that sticks out of the shoe box cakes.

Am I right in thinking it is fondant? I was thinking that I could dry it on foam over some dowels or scrunched up cling film to get the rippled effect. Am I on the right track??? should I add a little cmc/tylose to make it stiffer?

Any advice gratefully received, this is for my Mother's birthday cake so I really want to impress as she is so darn hard to please.

14 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:51am
post #2 of 15

Yes - you should use fondant with tylose added (or gumpaste). If you have a pasta machine it works wonderfully to make a very thin 'tissue.' You can dry in directly on the cake so you achieve the drape you want, and use any of the mediums you mentioned for shaping. Good luck - I'm sure mom will love it!!

eatdessert1st Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 15

You can also use rice paper. I dampened it just slightly w/ a damp washcloth (don't get it too wet or it'll dissolve) and put it in the "box". Then I dusted it w/ super pearl dust when it had totally dried.

minkiemoo Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you so much for your replies, I am really looking forward to making this cake. I am going to start making the shoe to go with it tomorrow icon_eek.gif

snowshoe1 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdessert1st

You can also use rice paper. I dampened it just slightly w/ a damp washcloth (don't get it too wet or it'll dissolve) and put it in the "box". Then I dusted it w/ super when it had totally dried.

What a clever idea. How do you shape it or when it's wet does it just drape naturally?

bashini Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 15

Yes, I too use modelling paste/gum paste. You have to roll it very thin. so you get the real tissue effect. looking forward to see a photo.

Good Luck!

eatdessert1st Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdessert1st

You can also use rice paper. I dampened it just slightly w/ a damp washcloth (don't get it too wet or it'll dissolve) and put it in the "box". Then I dusted it w/ super when it had totally dried.

What a clever idea. How do you shape it or when it's wet does it just drape naturally?

When it's damp I gently crumple it up and prop it up in a real box to dry in the shape I want. Remember to *just* dampen the paper so it doesn't dissolve.When it's dry brush on super pearl dust w/ a brush. HTH

ladyonzlake Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 15

For my tissue on my boxes I rolled my fondant very thin and cut them in varied sqaures and triangles, no need to be neat. You can crumple up some real tissue or use a plastic bag and lay your pieces on it so that they dry in different shapes. I also dusted the edges pink.
LL

minkiemoo Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 15

Drying them on a crumpled plastic bag is a stroke of genius icon_biggrin.gif thank you so much for the tip.

ZAKIA6 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

For my tissue on my boxes I rolled my fondant very thin and cut them in varied sqaures and triangles, no need to be neat. You can crumple up some real tissue or use a plastic bag and lay your pieces on it so that they dry in different shapes. I also dusted the edges pink.

i love you hat box cakes... im thinking to make one for mothers day. how much would a cake like this go for?

ladyonzlake Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 15

I have sold my gift box cake for $80 but I think I'm going to raise the price to $100. The ones that I have made serve 20 and are an 8" square.

ZAKIA6 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 15

thanks for the info.
if you can you need to def raise your prices
your cakes are beautiful.

ladyonzlake Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 15

Awww...thanks for the compliment on my cakes! icon_redface.gif

Bellatheball Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:46pm
post #14 of 15

Ladyonzlake, with all due respect, you should be charging over $100 for that cake. Heck, I live in Iowa (where people are fairly cost conscious) and they'd still be willing to pay that for your artwork.

ReesesCupcakes Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #15 of 15

That cake is fabulous.... I wouldn't even know how to begin making that...any tips?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%