How Do I Cut & Sharpen Wooden Dowels?

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 5:53pm by beachcakes

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:47am
post #1 of 7

What is your most successful way of cutting dowels neatly, and what do you use to sharpen them to pound thru cake boards? Do you use a knife and whittle away, or do you have a "dedicated" pencil sharpener. I was not very successful in working with dowels my last shot, and need to do an extra good job this week with them. Thanks for your advice!

deb

6 replies
mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:50am
post #2 of 7

I use a rose pruner that cuts straight across and then I also have a dedicated pencil sharpener. But I must also add that I do use the fat bubble straws, too. Those take normal scissors. icon_lol.gif

Kim

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:16am
post #3 of 7

I haven't done a stacked cake yet, but I was wondering what is the purpose for sharpening dowels? Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:17am
post #4 of 7

I use a small size pipe cutter from Home Depot, and a pencil sharpener... icon_smile.gif

Good luck,
Pat

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:36am
post #5 of 7

I learned from a master cake decorator to use a dedicated pencil sharpener to sharpen & to cut she uses a dedicated dogs toe nail clipper. Cuts cleanly,sharply & no splinters. Who knew?

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for your suggestions..................if anyone ever looked in our "cake" tool boxes they would be surprised to what they find.......dog clippers, who would think? LOL!!!!

deb

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 7

I have a cutter I got from Sears. I think it's called a Robocutter. It cuts through the plastic dowels very easily too! I have a dedicated pencil sharpener for dowels. I have all boys at home, so my cake stuff is pink. No one wants to take my pink pencil sharpener! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%