How Do You Fill A Cupcake?

Decorating By Honey_Cakes Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 11:47am by HerBoudoir

Honey_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey_Cakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:46am
post #1 of 7

Hi I have seen posts here saying that people had filled their cupcakes with a sauce or flavour and I was wondering how this is done. Do you make a little hole in the top and fill it with the sauce? I was thinking that if you did this then covered the cupcake with fondant that it would sink into the hole and you would see it on the top. Any help with this would be much appreciated! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

6 replies
Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:06am
post #2 of 7

I'm interested to see how this is done, as well.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:08am
post #3 of 7

When I have done it, I used a pastry bag with a round tip (like a 12) and poked it into the top of cupcake as far down as it would go, then squeezed the filling in. You can tell when it's full enough because the filling will start to come up around the tip a little bit. I cover the cupcake with buttercream before I cover it with fondant, and there's no hole or sunken spot to worry about.

drgaddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drgaddy Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:09am
post #4 of 7

I use round tip No. 7 to fill my cupcakes.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:09am
post #5 of 7

To fill a cupcake I just use a #12 round tip. Fill your pastry bag with your filling, plunge the tip into the cupcake and fill it until you feel it is full (it will buldge a little bit) than I ice it with buttercream. Even if I am putting fondant on it I always prep it with buttercream for a smooth finish.

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:40am
post #6 of 7

I make a hole in the top of the cupcake with an apple corer.Put filling in piping bag with just the coupler (no tip) & fill.If you do not fill right to the top, you can "plug" the hole with the piece of cake that you removed & then cover with buttercream/fondant etc.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:47am
post #7 of 7

Wilton has a cupcake decorating kit that has a LONG tip with a round opening that you use to fill cupcakes by poking it in and filling. Works better with a lighter cake than a denser cake.

Alternatively, you can cut a "plug" out of the top of the cupcake, fill it, trim the underneath of the plug to leave room for filling, and put the top back on.

Either way works really well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%