Freezing Buttercream

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 12:22pm by HerBoudoir

snoopy3 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:13am
post #1 of 12

Ok, hope this isn't a silly question. If I freeze a batch of buttercream, once thawed and I have used what I need, can I re-freeze it? Or how long will it last once it has been defrosted, can it still keep 2 weeks in the fridge (I use the 1/2 marg, 1/2 shortening, 4 cups icing sugar and 2 tbsp milk + flavoring)

11 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 12

I have re-frozen buttercream several times. You will be able to tell when it is no longer any good by the look and smell of it

It helps to place plastic wrap directly on top of the frosting to prevent ice crystals from forming. This freezer burn will shorten the life of the frosting.

Freezing colored frosting saves a lot of work later when you are decorating a cake that just needs a small amount of a color. I always kept red, black, and green in the freezer.

diane Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 12

i've kept bc in the freezer for over a week and it was still good. icon_wink.gif

catin Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 12

I Freeze, Thaw, re-Freeze my Buttercream all the time . I've been lucky with it so far. I Still Have batches in my freezer that I regulaly use . These Batches have been done about three or so weeks ago . And no smell of discoloration yet .

tracycakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 12

Absolutely, you can refreeze!

I mentioned in an earlier thread that I have discovered freezing buttercream in ziplop freezer bags. I just squeeze all of the air out, zip up and lay flat in the freezer. It's quick to thaw out and I can refreeze. It works really well when you have several colors, too much to throw out and not enough to warrant a separate container. I've been thrilled with the results!

mommycakediva Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 12

I freeze mine too! It makes it so much easier when the icing is already done the day of making the cake

mommycakediva Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 12

I freeze mine too! It makes it so much easier when the icing is already done the day of making the cake

Amy729 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 12

I also freeze leftover icing. It is a good feeling when you need a little of a certain color and it's already mixed waiting for you.

And it is better then wasting good stuff! icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 12

What about meringue based or boiled buttercreams?

lecrn Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:44pm
post #10 of 12

I freeze & refreeze all the time. I lay a double layer of saran wrap on the counter, plop down the buttercream & wrap it up. I then place it in a freezer bag. This is very helpful esp. if you need a small amt. of a certain color (like leaves for flowers).

snoopy3 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:36am
post #11 of 12

Thanks for the help everyone!

HerBoudoir Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:22pm
post #12 of 12

You can freeze meringue based buttercream - you'll need to re-whip it before you use it after it's thawed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%