5 Tier Wedding Cake Order Request Next Month! Help!

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 1:34pm by CarolAnn

sweetneice Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:21am
post #1 of 10

HEY GUYS! Well, that small bridal show I did a month &1/2 ago seems to have worked pretty well. So far out of 19 brides 3 have booked with a minimum order of $500 not to include the grooms cakes, petit fours, and decor! One of the ladies asked me to help with her planning since I am also a wedding coordinator, but cakes are my first love! That wedding earned me $1200! Here's the thing:

I just got a call from another bride that was at the show. She visited some other bakeries and found that they couldn't do what she wanted. They also didn't do dummy cakes which she wants for the purposes of height, so yay for me, since I do! I have never ever done a 5 tier cake, and am quite nervous about it. It's a simple cake with a few scrolls on the sides and ribbon on the bottom. I need to know how do I attach the ribbon onto the buttercream? Do I tape the ends? As for the scrollwork, is there a certain tip that works better? I've used different ones, but I really want this to be as close to perfect as possible. Thanks guys, these questions may seem silly, but I thought what the heck, so ahead and ask! icon_lol.gif

9 replies
CarolAnn Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:43am
post #2 of 10

I think some use a dab of bc or RI. I've heard about some kind of edible glue too. I'll be watching for an answer too. Meantime I'll try and keep you up here and visible.

leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:27am
post #3 of 10

Are you going to put real ribbon on the cake? I will only use fondant ribbon.

diane Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 10

cut wax paper to fit the back of the ribbon. attached the wax paper with double sided tape to the ribbon and then attached it at the reception site. use a little bit of double sided tape again just at the point where the ribbons meet at the back of the cake. icon_wink.gif

sweetneice Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:27am
post #6 of 10

I planned on using regular ribbon Leahs, due to the the design on the picture she wanted. I'm just concerned that it will bleed through or It will look really silly in the back with a piece of tape on the ends! Thanks Carol Ann for trying to keep me visible! Thanks JanH for the thread.
Dianne thanks for the instructions, I'm just trying to get a visual of what you mean with the wax paper. Does anyone have photos showing this? Or could someone make it up and post it? HINT HINT! LOL

leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:41am
post #7 of 10

The dyes used in fabric ribbon are not food safe. it would be so much better to use fondant ribbon.

CarolAnn Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 10

sweetneice, She just means to underline your ribbon by cutting a strip of waxed paper a little smaller than the ribbon. You afix it to your cake with a dab of bc or edible glue then put your ribbon over that. It creates a barrier between your cake and the ribbon. Protects your ribbon from soaking in the grease/oil/moisture from your icing and anything going from the ribbon to the cake.

sweetneice Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:46am
post #9 of 10

Thanks CarolAnn! Now I get it! DUH! Hit me over the head with a spatula would ya! icon_lol.gif I will try that method since she's stuck on having that fabric ribbon. Thanks for all your help. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

CarolAnn Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:34pm
post #10 of 10

You're welcome! I don't work with fondant on cakes yet so this is the route I'd have to take.

Quote by @%username% on %date%