Defrosting Frozen Buttercream Quickly.

Decorating By kweenmommy Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 12:28pm by gandelmom

kweenmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenmommy Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:03am
post #1 of 6

Is there a way to defrost frozen buttercream quickly?

I have cupcakes I wanted to frost tonight but all my buttercream is frozen solid.

Thanks In Advance for your hel;p.

5 replies
Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:57am
post #2 of 6

I have put some in the microwave to thaw out, but you have to do it in small increments and stir. You don't want to end up with buttercream soup!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 6

Fill the sink with hot water and set the bowl (covered) in there for a bit, it thaws very quickly!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 6

It doesn't usually take too terribly long for my buttercream to thaw. If I need it that evening, I'll take it out that morning and it's fine that afternoon.

I also discovered a new way to store leftover buttercream that I have found really handy. I had some buttercream made up in several different colors for a cake. Too much to throw away and I didn't have enough small containers to keep it all. I put each color in a ziplock back (the freezer kind), squeezed out the air, flattened them and stacked them in the freezer.

When I get ready to use, they thaw out in a flash, I cut the corner and fill my parchment bag and ice. Last Thursday, my DH reminded me at 4:30 that I was supposed to bring snack for small group that night. I asked him to get out a couple of bags. I got home, baked cupcakes, let them cool for about 15 minutes, grabbed a bag of icing, iced them and ran out the door. They were Wonderful and it didn't take much work at all!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. icon_redface.gif

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 6

Traciecakes -- don't you have to rewhip the thawed buttercream before piping with it?

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 6

traceycakes:
Great tip! I'm definitely going to use it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%