Please I Need Help With Satin Ice Gum Paste!!!

Decorating By jessfmaldonado Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 4:43am by Sugarflowers

jessfmaldonado Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:04am
post #1 of 6

Okay I have made Nicholas Lodge's Gum Paste recipe. However I made it using the boxed egg whites and I colored it with red. I really need a deep red color for roses that I am doing for a wedding cake. I achieved the deep color by adding a lot of super red, black, and maroon. After it was cured it was so horribly sticky, I added like 2 more cups of ps and it was still so sticky. So I went out and bought Satin Ice Gumpaste. Now I did the same red, had to add a whole lot to achieve the color, it is so sticky now too. What do I do to correct this?? Is it the amount of color I am adding that is making it so sticky?? If it is how can I correct the amount that I have already colored, I cant do it over. Not much time left. I don't know what to do, it also is tearing as I am trying to ruffle it. It did that without color too. Please any suggestions please the cake is due on Apr , I have no time left for these flowers. I am also doing petunias and that on its own is giving me problems, if anyone knows how do do those and can give me some tips, I would really appreciate it.. Thanks so much for any help!!!

5 replies
jessfmaldonado Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:06am
post #2 of 6

Sorry I meant that the cake is due Apr 26, and that the Satin Ice was giving me ruffling problems even without the color. Thanks!

KoryAK Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:18am
post #3 of 6

Add more powdered sugar, yes its too much moisture from all that coloring.

Sugarflowers Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 6

Try kneading in some more tylose. This will absorb some of the moisture as well as add strength and stretch to the gumpaste. The same will probably work with Nick's recipe. It was too soft for me and adding tylose helped quite a bit.

Good luck with your flowers.

Michele

jessfmaldonado Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:34am
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much Michele.

I am going so crazy with these flowers!!!! The Tylose helped so much!!! The powdered sugar wasnt helping at all. I dont know why I didnt think of that. But thats why we need More experienced people to help us out! Well at least me! I see that you have a DVD, I will be picking that up!!! I really need to get gumpaste flowers down. Cake no problem for me, Flowers arggggggggggg!!! hehe. Thanks so much, for the tip, now lets see if I can pull these roses off! hmmmmmmmm, icon_confused.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:43am
post #6 of 6

Glad I could help. The tips are from hard learned lessons. I have wasted more gumpast than I care to remember. I got help from other decorators also, but mostly I just tried things until they worked. That explains the wasted gumpaste. icon_smile.gif

Good luck with your flowers.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%