Question About Painting Fondant

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 8:33pm by kansaswolf

Iloveweddings Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:43am
post #1 of 9

Hi. How do you paint fondant? What product is used to paint fondant? Thank you in advance.

8 replies
bethola Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:49am
post #2 of 9

I have used luster dust mixed with lemon juice to make a "paint". I have also used color gels. Sometimes I mix them with lemon juice and sometimes I don't. Depends on the "depth" I want.

Cake_Princess Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:50am
post #3 of 9

For my shrek cake I used gel colors that I thinned with vanilla extract. Sometimes I thin with water but this takes longer to dry.

lovetofrost Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:51am
post #4 of 9

what exactly does the lemon juice do? does it make the cake sour?

kansaswolf Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:53am
post #5 of 9

I use gel icing color mixed with a small amount of vodka. The high alcohol content means that the color will dry fast and not leave your fondany runny. Also, it totally evaporates, so no worries about getting tipsy from a piece of cake! I've also used vanilla and almond extract with good results. You just have to be more careful with those, since they WILL leave flavor, so don't overdo it!

Good luck painting! icon_biggrin.gif

bethola Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:58am
post #6 of 9
Originally Posted by lovetofrost

what exactly does the lemon juice do? does it make the cake sour?

I'm SORRY! I said lemon juice and I MEANT lemon extract! Long day today. It has a higher alcohol content than the other extracts and dries quickly and also evaporates quickly. Doesn't really leave a taste.

I've also painted buttercream with lemon extract and have had no complaints of a "lemony" taste.

Iloveweddings Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:09am
post #7 of 9

So no using the wilton icing colors? I need gels? Thanks.

bethola Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 9

Oh I use whatever I have. I've used Wilton AND Americolor with good results. You can check out my photos and see the "painted" cakes. The cake in my avatar was painted with lemon EXTRACT (it seemed like GALLONS! LOL) and silver luster dust.

Beth in KY

kansaswolf Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 9

No no, I just use the Wilton icing colors, but I use the concentrated gel, not the powdered kind... (that may work TOO, I just don't have personal experience with that...)

Quote by @%username% on %date%