Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By lola73 Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 12:39am by TheButterWench

lola73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lola73 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:56am
post #1 of 23

Could somebody please give me the pros and cons of mmf vs regular fondant? Do you prefer mmf to reg fondant? Any tips or other info would be greatly appreciated!

22 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:30am
post #2 of 23

MMF - pros, price. cons, doesn't always give consistent results.
Fondant - pros, easy to use, no mess, reliable. cons, more expensive.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:20am
post #3 of 23

I've never used the ready-made fondants.

I've made homemade regular fondant and MMF. I made the regular fondant in the food processor. It was not very well behaved. It was fine for my daughter to make decorations out of, but I could tell from the feel of it that it was not going to cover a whole cake for me. Also, it absorbed grease from the buttercream and changed color. I made MMF and I could tell right away that it was going to work for me. Every batch that I have made has worked perfectly. I knead it in my KA mixer and so it's easy too.

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:33am
post #4 of 23

I have never made reg. fodant but the mmf has workewd great for me, easy to work with and tasted good!

lola73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lola73 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 23

Thank you so much for your input! Greatly appreciated!!!!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 23

Bought Wilton fondant till I was braver to try making my own MMF.

Wilton: I'd make some nice cakes, top it with fondant and then told everyone to 'take off the fondant cuz it tastes gross'. What a shame for decent cakes! It was convenient though.

Homemade MMF: Dig in! Tastes great! Worked perfect for me! I was intimidated to try it, but when I made it, I'll never go back.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 23

I have found that I like to cover my cakes with MMF. I have really only covered dummy cakes, because people around here don't like fondant, and don't want to pay the extra for something they are going to peel off and throw away.
I find however that I like Michelle Fosters fondant recipe best for modeling. It dries quicker and tastes great. When modeling with MMF it would take forever for my figures to dry. Not so Michelles.

vickymacd Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 23

I agree that MMF takes awhile to dry, but no one ever peels it off anymore. It's so yummy!

AmazingGraceCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmazingGraceCakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 23

Ladies, those of you that love the MMF, what recipe do you use???

Thanks,
Connie

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 23

The ready-made fondant is good to work with but is expensive and doesn't taste good.

MMF tastes good, inexpensive to make. It is not hard to make, and you can get good results if you learn to work with it.

vickymacd Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 23

The one I use is in the recipe index here on CC. Type in Marshmallow fondant. It's the one that just says "Marshmallow Fondant (MMF)". It tastes delicious and is soooo easy! Attached is also a site for watching how to make it although I think on the video, the ingredients are different.

I'm sure everyone has their own favorite, but this one is my favorite so far.
Vicky

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:11pm
post #12 of 23

I totaly agree with beachcakes. For the first time I made MMF, and it came out a bit sticky. I had to use lots of shortening. It may need a bit more powdered sugar. And when I tried to cover the cake, it was really strechy too. I would like to know from the MMF experts anything I can to do prevent MMF getting sticky next time. I used the recipe which is in the recipe section here.

But I have to say that I like the taste of MMF and love the shine it gives.

The regular Fondant is expensive, but really easy to use. I like it. But because lot of members say that Michele Fosters Fondant is really nice, I'm going to try that next time.

AmazingGraceCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmazingGraceCakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:01pm
post #13 of 23

The Wilton fondant I find is very easy to use but expensive and I've never tasted it but hear that it's awful.I have tried Michele Fosters and it really did work well, loved it!! MMF I need help with, tried it once and kept breaking when we tried to cover the cake but I think it's somethng I did wrong especially when I read all these wonderful reviews on MMF.
Thanks vickymacd for the video!

rosapastel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosapastel Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:45pm
post #14 of 23

Has anyone tried the Marshmellow recipe on the website below?http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm
I think it's the same as the one posted on this site.
I haven't tried it and wanted to know if it's worth making?
Where can I find the recipe for Michele Fosters Fondant?

Thanks
Tere

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:15am
post #15 of 23

I watched that you tube video and it said when you get ready to use your MMF ( after you have made it and let it set) to microwave for a bit, 10 minutes! If you nuke it for 10 minutes you will have a burned up mess! I think they ment to say 10 seconds!

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:06am
post #16 of 23

Is there a web site for Michael Fosters fondant? I luv the MMF but I'm always looking for something better. Hint--I mix 1teas. butter flavor & 1/2 teas. almond flavoring (Watkins) in mine---sooooo good. Be sure to cut down your water amount by the amount of flavoring you use.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:58am
post #17 of 23

rosapastel and joy5678, there is a recipe in the recipe index in here. It should be the correct one.

vickymacd Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:38am
post #18 of 23

That's what I love about MMF...nuking it for 5 seconds!! And it also depends on how much you are nuking! For some things, I only pull a piece out of the bunch and nuke it for ease of handling. Too much nuking and it's sticky and too soft to do anything with.

TEN MINUTES?????? Oh, I hope it wasn't the video "I" told everyone to watch. Yikes!

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:27pm
post #19 of 23

I have been into covering cookies with MMF for a year now. I use Rhondas Ultimate MMF which is on CC and I really love it. I have never had a failure with it and I find the favorite flavors are almond, orange and raspberry. I do add a Tbs. of crisco to the mixture and do the entire batch in my KA with the dough hook. I had heard so much about Michelle Fosters that I decided to give it a try. For me it was more expensive to make and a much bigger mess, but maybe that was just me. I did like the taste and texture, but I am afraid that it is going to be too soft for my cookies--probably will melt a little too much. I think for cakes it would be better because it is softer and more stretchy. I am wondering if you left out the glycerine, if it would be better for my cookies. I am going to try the Jello MMF recipe that I see posted on here today just because it sounds so different and you good get such interesting flavors and easy coloring with it. Any of these recipes are definitely a step up from the regular MMF that is just p. sugar, water and marshmallows.
Lily

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:21pm
post #20 of 23

Thanks gals, and yall can call me joy! icon_lol.gif I'm going to go search for his fondant right now but it is going to have to be really good. I just luv the CC receipem, and if its a mess---forget it. The less stress & mess the better.

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:44pm
post #21 of 23

Yikes! Once I was in a hurry and didn't realize I had over nuked MMF ad when I pulled it out it and picked it up it stuck to my hand and burned. I had an instant blister!

I love MMF Here is my pictorial

http://tasteebakes.com/id61.html

KathyAM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyAM Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:13pm
post #22 of 23

I like using MMF and have not had any troubles with it. I always get some slight allover pitting in it though. Commercial fondant doesn't do that. I know I read a thread about this problem once and I thought I did everything to prevent that from happening. Certainly, even with the slight pitting, MMF beats commercial in my opinion because it is so much cheaper and it tastes better.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:39am
post #23 of 23

Ok, don't bite my head off. lol

I am opposed to using MMF due to Moral and Religious reasons. Not mine, my customers

MMF is marshmellow based and marshmellows are made with gelatin, which is an animal by product.

I don't know if my customers are Vegans or Religiously opposed to eating meat and I believe that it's against the law to ask. ( I may be wrong but I heard it was right up there with asking a woman about being pregnant, lol)

I don't even know their guests dietary restrictions eighter and it's non of my bees wax, so it's fondant all the way for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%