Choco-Pan Vs. Satin Ice

Decorating By jkoob2 Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 9:16pm by arosstx

jkoob2 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:18am
post #1 of 17

I just wanted to know what type of fondant you prefer?? Thanks so much!!

icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
tiggy2 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:29am
post #2 of 17

IMO choco-pan tastes 100 times better then satin ice. It's a little harder to work with but so worth it.

jkoob2 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:33am
post #3 of 17

how is it harder?? how much harder is it to use??

lovetofrost Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:39am
post #4 of 17

i have never heard of choco pan is that made of chocolate?

mommycakediva Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:03am
post #5 of 17

Yes I too would like to hear more, where do you get it, or can it be made at home? Is it for molding or covering? or both?Sorry so many questions!

tiggy2 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:06am
post #6 of 17

You can get it from global sugar art (on sale right now) or into the oven. It's a little softer making it a little trickier to work with. Yes, it is made with chocolate and it taste soooooooo good. If you go to into the oven's web site you can order free samples for just a small shipping charge. I believe they have 6 flavors. The cocolate taste just like tootsie rolls and they also have a carmel.

mommycakediva Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 17

Sounds yummmy!! Thanks for the info.

kendi25 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 17

Is Pettinice better than satin ice also?

foxymomma521 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 17

I have to disagree... I prefer the taste and pliability if SatinIce. Also, when I looked at the ingredients on my ChocoPan no form of chocolate was listed icon_confused.gif . It might just be me, but I really didn't like ChocoPan, and now I have a 5 pound tub of it that I doubt I'll use icon_cry.gif .

tiggy2 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

I have to disagree... I prefer the taste and pliability if SatinIce. Also, when I looked at the ingredients on my ChocoPan no form of chocolate was listed icon_confused.gif . It might just be me, but I really didn't like ChocoPan, and now I have a 5 pound tub of it that I doubt I'll use icon_cry.gif .

Send it my way, I love it icon_lol.gif I really didn't care for the taste of satin Ice, fondex, or penttince. I've never had anyone peel off choco-pan but they did peel off the penttince.

foxymomma521 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 17

f o n d a n t s o u r c e . c o m has lots of brands I haven't heard of... I'm planning on trying CalJava next... Have you tried it Tiggy2?

tiggy2 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:36pm
post #12 of 17

Fondantsource sent me samples of all of theirs and I didn't care for them. My favorites are McCalls and Choco-pan but I haven't found a supplier in the US for McCalls.

shisharka Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:39pm
post #13 of 17

For me, it is Choco-Pan hands down!
I got four 5-lb tubs of SatinIce after all the great feedback about it, but I absolutely hate the way it behaves - it overstretches, tears, cracks on edges (I followed someoneâs advice here to knead in a little Crisco and it helped a little, but not enough), not to mention SatinIce stinks â especially the black one, I had to put the tub of black in a double plastic bag in the garage as it was stinking up my pantry very badly! The dark chocolate SatinIce was the only one with some redeemable quality for me⦠So now, that Iâm almost done with those 20lb, Iâm going back to Choco-Pan, or trying something new.

AZCakeGirl Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:39pm
post #14 of 17

Does chocopan make a white chocolate fondant? Or for that matter, does anybody make a white chocolate?

tiggy2 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:49pm
post #15 of 17

Yes, choco-pan has a white cocolate and it is also very yummy!

fluttercakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:59pm
post #16 of 17

How is Choco-pan in the summer? Does it stand up to humidity well? I have a ton of Satin Ice, and I haven't had any major problems with it, but I have had a little cracking but that was fixed with a little shortening.

Love to know how Choco-pan holds up in warmer weather!

arosstx Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:16pm
post #17 of 17

I haven't used it personally, but I have heard from others (I'm in Texas) that it does NOT do well in heat. Satin Ice does.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%