Airbrush Machine

Decorating By daisy114 Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 7:50pm by KATE39

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 23

I'd like to purchase an airbrush machine from Michael's or A.C. Moore with my 50% coupon. Is this possible or is there a special one to be used just with food?

Also, where would I purchase the food coloring for the airbrush machine?

thanks!

22 replies
daisy114 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:55am
post #2 of 23

anyone?

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #3 of 23

I have this on my "to buy" list soon. I read some threads on this in other forums. I would just go there and search air brush and there is a lot of great information and suggestions on which ones are best.

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:10am
post #4 of 23

I bought a generic airbrush from harbor freight for $12.99, it's a dual action and it's great i use it at work cuz their airmaster is broken. You can fin it on their website www.harborfreight.com. Any airbrush will work for cakes and you can use any liquid food coloring. I have mixed paste color will alchol and it works fine. Airbrush color is still better though. Good look and happy caking icon_biggrin.gif

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:12am
post #5 of 23

Forget it, don't waste your money buying it from Michael's. You can go on ebay get a pretty good machine. I got mine with motor for around $90-$100 total. Your going to pay if not more alone on the motor if you buy from Michael's (I priced many options Michael's was one of them)

As far as your colors you can get Americolor airbrush colors online - do a search and don't settle on the first one you see - shop around!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:16am
post #6 of 23

My husband bought me an airbrush last year for my birthday. It was just a cheapy...the presure coming out is to much for the cakes sometimes. It works though....

We got it at Harbor Frieght. Now, I know that what most decorators use is specifically for a less sensitive item, like our cakes. I do not know the brands but I know they sell them at the cake supply sites. The colors too....
I have not had to many chances to use mine but for what I have used it for it has been fine. Just a heads up though...use it in a space that you want to clean....I have learned to use like a partition around my work area so the color does not spead through the air....like the black did on my hat box cake.....my feet were black...and my floors, walls, windows and any horizontal surface in three rooms!!!!

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #7 of 23

yea I've been thinking about getting one too so interested to see the posts for sure, trying to see if its worth it for me to get one as I don't do many cakes yet!

sassycleo Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:40am
post #8 of 23

here is a link to one by the same company i originally got mine from. I checked with others here on CC and there are a few other people who have purchased the same one. Pricing wise pretty good as you have the air brush and motor. Dual action etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=380015316771&Category=134557

sassycleo Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #9 of 23

Mommycakediva,

then this is the perfect time to get it. It will give you time to play and practice with it. This way when you start using it you'll look like a pro right from the start!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:46am
post #10 of 23

My mom is getting me the Kroma Jet system after several on here recommended it. One person said they bought theirs at candylandcrafts.com, with some colors, for about $180. I can't remember who, but here's the link to the airbrush:

http://www.candylandcrafts.com/kromajetsystem.htm

daisy114 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:51am
post #11 of 23

So here's a silly question but having an airbrush, does this mean you could just use white fondant to cover the cake and airbrush the color you want the cake to be? That's mainly what I was hoping it was for.

CelebrationCakery Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:09am
post #12 of 23

Definately, that is what I use mine for too...

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:26am
post #13 of 23

Never thought about that! Good idea! Airbrushing fondant seems alot easier than kneading! One thing though, does the fondant get all icky, or act funny when you airbrush it? Or is it like airbrushing BC?

CelebrationCakery Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:50pm
post #14 of 23

The airbrushing color dries fairly quickly, you just want to be sure to take your time and layer your coloring until you get your desired look. (like spray painting) You don't want to just keep your hand in one spot and spray....it will get drops of the liquid coloring which can pit the fondant (it will kindof look like some of the sugar in the fondant has melted) instead of it being smooth... last time I did it I practiced on some rolled out frosting outside to see how my color looked before I did it on the cake.

mommycakediva Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm
post #15 of 23

Ya now would def. be a good time to start, my hubby wants to buy me one so i'll keep watching for ideas of where to get one and which kind to get! Is it easier and better to use to actual colors for it or is it ok to make with gel paste and water?

mommycakediva Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 23

Ya now would def. be a good time to start, my hubby wants to buy me one so i'll keep watching for ideas of where to get one and which kind to get! Is it easier and better to use to actual colors for it or is it ok to make with gel paste and water?

CelebrationCakery Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:24pm
post #17 of 23

I bought my color at a story near me called the Confectionary House...they are on the internet too...
But I would not mix gel color with water, but try gel colors mixed with either a clear extract or vodka....(don't worry the alcohol will evaporate...and it will not taste like vodka at all either...)

So no water...unless it is just for practice....

cubcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cubcakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:10pm
post #18 of 23

I LOVE MY AIRBRUSH!!! I'd be lost without it! Airbrushing is probably my favorite decorating tool!! I bought mine from KopyKake as well as the colors. My first one was the small version and great for a starter... later graduated to a larger one with adjustable air control. Somewhere on this site I have a pic of a cake of Mona Lisa that I entered in 2006 Wa State Sugar Art Show then brought to Dallas ICES in 2006.

You can airbrush any icing...fondant, buttercream and no-dairy whip icing. Note*** Non-dairy whip and REAL Whip Cream will have a tendency to absorb the color...leaving you with pastel or faded colors at best.

Investing in an airbrush is definitely worth the expense.! Go for it!
Mike

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:00am
post #19 of 23

I also got mine from KopyKake and I love it. My hubby got it for me as a Christmas present. I have used it several times but I need a lot of practice until I completely figure it out. That means more cake at my house. I make it for functions at the firehouse and I make them my guinea pigs! They love it and I don't have all of that cake in my house. I am so glad that I have one! Go for it and invest!

cubcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cubcakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:07am
post #20 of 23

Hi there!
Well here's something you can try so that you're not buried in cake!

If you need to practice with an airbrush... use coloring books... this will help you with pressure control, lines etc. Also, just slap some buttercream icing on a gold board or wax paper even..and practice on that...don't like it?...scrape it off and start over..it's a lot less expensive than a cake and reusable! As for reusable goes... you can also ice a styrofoam dummy wrapped in plastic wrap and a little heat to "shrink wrap". A styro dummy is great for practicing on the sides...keep re-icing it as you screw up then just undo the plastic wrap and throw it away. You still have a nice styro dummy for next time.

Keep a bowl of water handy to spray excess color and rinse your airbrush in before adding another color. REMEMBER to spray out all the water before addin another color... you don't want water in there or it will spatter all over your cake and make your colors nearby run. Work lighter colors first then progress to darker when possible.

Have a great time with it...
Mike : icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:57am
post #21 of 23

I don't know if you'll find this helpful or not, but here goes: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-478578-.html#478578 and http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93657

The first link is how I chose my airbrush system and the second is the link to the compressor I purchased. I compared that to a compressor found at http://www.winbeckler.com/airbrush_suppliespage_2.asp#Recommended%20Airbrush%20System.

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:53pm
post #22 of 23

Iscored a airmaster compressor from work icon_biggrin.gif it was one they don't use anymore; it was buried behind a bunch of stuff so i asked if i could have it. Any compreesor and airbrush will work for cakes. Duff uses a Prasche brush and a husky compressor. I have a generic airbrush and now a airmater compressor and an airbrush that need rebuilt. Have fun with your cakes icon_biggrin.gif

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:50pm
post #23 of 23

Thanks cubcakes! They are all excellent ideas. I didn't think of any of them. Good job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%