What Is Rolled Buttercream?

Decorating By januaryissues Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 1:11am by januaryissues

januaryissues Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
januaryissues Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 7

I keep reading about rolled buttercream to cover cakes, how do you do this I want to know!!!??

And if someone could show me a pic of a cake done with the rolled buttercream that would be great!

6 replies
misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 7

this is my recipe for rolled buttercream
Rolled Buttercream
1 cup shortening
1 cup light shortening (syrup)
½ tspn flavoring (butter, etc)
1 tspn clear vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioners sugar
½ tspn popcorn salt

the cake in my thumbnail (pink & green) is covered in rolled buttercream as are a number of the cakes in my photos (like treasure chest).
It rolls out like fondant but tastes much better (my opinion & that of a number of my friends & family).
I use it to cover all of my cookies (pics of those in my photos too).

januaryissues Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:39am
post #3 of 7

thank you very much!! icon_smile.gif

januaryissues Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:45am
post #4 of 7

SO DO I JUST MIXED ALL THOSE INGREDIENTS TOGETHER AND IT WILL FORM? DOES IT HAVE TO BE REFRIGERATED?

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:53am
post #5 of 7

I've found that it works better if you allow it to rest after mixing. I wrap mine in a ziploc bag, get as much air out as possible and then place in a air tight container. I usually leave it in the refrigerator for 2-4 days before using.

Search "rolled buttercream" under the "frostings" category and you'll find details. This is close to my recipe.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:54am
post #6 of 7

I just made my first batch of RBC last week and am in love. It tastes so good and doesn't leave that crisco taste like regular buttercream. I did notice that in the first few hours after it was made, it was kind of chewy. But the next day after it had rested the crisco and powdered sugar kind of melted together and made it kind of melt in my mouth. And it tasted sooo good. I froze my extra I made. I heard it can be frozen up to 3 months. I wouldn't say you need to refrigerate it since there are no perishable items in the recipe. Good luck with making it. I think the key is to have lots of powdered sugar.

januaryissues Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:11am
post #7 of 7

thank you thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%