Cake Ball & Math Help!!!!

Decorating By lmn4881 Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 9:10am by pjaycakes

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 5

ok I'm not the greatest mathematician in the world but I'm sure someone out there will be able to help me with this one.

I have a bride who wants cake balls on styrofoam cones for her wedding with a few scattered around the base. The cones she wants are 5 5/8 x 23 7/8 and 4 7/8 x 17 7/8. I can't seem to figure out how many cake balls will fit on each cone. My cake balls are approx 1" in diameter once they are finished.

Please could someone help me figure this out?

4 replies
SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:23am
post #2 of 5

oooh boy! This one sounds like it might be a Doug question - maybe if you PM him?

I don't have a clue and it hurts my brain to even attempt it!

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #3 of 5

Here is the formula for finding the surface of a cone. Of course you don't have to find the area for the bottom since you won't be putting cake balls there. I am assuming your numbers are the diameter of the bottom and the measurement up the side of the cone (not straight from the bottom to the tip). I rounded them to the nearest whole number. If so you can use the attached formula.
(pi)(radius)(slant)

pi = 3.14
r (radius) = 3 for one and 2.5 for the other
s (slant) = 24 for one and 18 for the other

Hope this makes sense.
LL

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:55am
post #4 of 5

dunce.gif Head...is....spinning.....Feeling....dizzy.....too....much...MATH!

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:10am
post #5 of 5

I know what you mean. I think I would just make a bunch and fill one to see how many it took, then you can guesstimate how many you will need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%