Cupcake ???s

Decorating By lecrn Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 3:34am by Ironbaker

lecrn Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 9

I just love making cupcakes bc they're so quick & it seems I make more of a profit on them. However, I have a few questions for the cupcake experts:
Do you use your cake recipes for your cupcakes?
What are some of your favorite recipes?
What are the different kinds of filling that you use?
What are some of your favorite cake/filling/frosting combos?
How much more do you charge for a filled cupcake?
Where do you buy your cupcake boxes?

Thanks so much!

8 replies
Ironbaker Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 9

I have also really come to LOVE cupcakes also. I did 60 this past weekend for a baby shower, I just like the individualism.

I do use my same cake recipes. I see this question a lot and I guess I don't understand why a regular cake recipe would be any different for cupcakes? I've had no problems yet.
I've used everything from chocolate to strawberry to carrot.

I've filled them only once so far and it was the chocolate stout cake with chocolate cream cheese filling and white choc. BC. They were rich and tasty. I didn't charge for these as they were my gift for a friend's birthday dinner.

I buy the cupcake cavity tray inserts that fit into the cake boxes. Two fit side by side in a half sheet box and one fits in a 1/4 sheet box.

HerBoudoir Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:45am
post #3 of 9

Where do you get the cavity tray inserts? Inquiring minds want to know....

I've used cake recipes for cupcakes and cupcake recipes for cakes - it's all good icon_smile.gif

A couple favorites:

Coconut cupcakes with mango buttercream
Vanilla cupcakes with raspberry buttercream, fresh berries glazed with jam, and a drizzle of chocolate
Chocolate cupcakes with espresso buttercream and white chocolate ganache
Chocolate cupcakes with dark chocolate ganache, white chocolate ganache, a chocolate dipped strawberry, and a drizzle of milk chocolate
Gingerbread with mango buttercream
Chai cupcake with whipped cream
Gran Marnier cupcake with dark chocolate ganache and whipped cream
Tiramisu cupcakes

I could go on and on...I rarely make the same ones twice.

SweetResults Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #4 of 9

Have my first order for wedding cupcakes - I am planning on charging $3 each - no filling, IMBC swirl with a fondant flower or fall leaf. To have them filled with fondant covering the top would have been $4.

What do you think about that pricing? Also I was just using regular sized cupcakes/liners - is that too small?

Do your cupcakes dome? Are they flat? I am so worried they are not big enough.

I worry when they dome and the icing does not cover all the cake on top it will get dry or stale. Should I brush them with simple syrup first?

My cupcakes look so beautiful in the oven and look pretty and domed - then I take them out and they shrivel up like a little kid in a bathtub! What am I doing wrong?

I will have to do 170 of these suckers. So I hope some cupcake pros out there see this thread and give us tips!!

HerBoudoir Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:14am
post #5 of 9

If they're sinking too much, they might be a tad underbaked.

I make regular size cupcakes and use a 1 and 5/8 ounce scoop for batter. It makes them come up just over the paper, and have a nice flat top for most cake recipes.

I find that's a perfect size - the flat top is a perfect platform for frosting, of which there needs to be a lot icon_smile.gif

Ironbaker Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:14am
post #6 of 9

I get my cupcake cavity inserts at two different local stores here, Cake Art and Nicholas Lodge's store.

Here they are at Cake Art, you can order online:

SweetResults, I think your pricing is good. You have to think about the time that goes into 170 cupcakes, the packaging, etc.

How long are you baking your cupcakes for? Depending on what I'm doing, I like domed and flat tops.

lecrn Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 9

[quote="Ironbaker"]I get my cupcake cavity inserts at two different local stores here, Cake Art and Nicholas Lodge's store.

Here they are at Cake Art, you can order online:

Is there a site that sells the cardboard inserts? The ones that are similar to cardboard cup holders. I've been cutting long strips of shelf liner & placing it on the bottom of the boxes, but that doesn't look that professional & I'm getting tired of doing it.

I use about 1/4 cup of batter per standard cupcake. Using an ice cream scoop makes it so much easier. My cupcakes rise about 1/4 inch above the liner & have a flat surface.

Jmtreu98 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 9

Here is a link to another great supplier of boxes for cupcakes! Really reasonable and fast shipping!

As for the flavors...The WASC receipt is a great start. It can be modified so many ways and they are the BEST cupcakes ever. They are moist, tasty and freeze really, really well. I use this as my basis and go from there.

Ironbaker Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:34am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for that Jmtreu98! I had no idea they were selling those now. Great prices!

Quote by @%username% on %date%