Help Need Recipes For Vegan Fondant By 4/14

Baking By zumbacakes Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 11:22pm by ThreeLittleBlackbirds

zumbacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zumbacakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 14

My friends from Southern California and San Franicsco are coming to Tulsa next week. I'd like to make a cake. Anyone know 100% vegan fondant brand I can buy? Does anyone have a vegan fondant recipes to share? Thanks.

My San Franicsco friend's wife is a raw vegan. Any CC vegans share a raw cake recipe. Thanks.

Zarah
Meat Eater from Tulsa.

13 replies
Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 14

I don't think there is a vegan fondant. I think they all have gelatin and vegan's won't eat that.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 14

i dont think there's vegan fondant becuz there's gelatin in fondant

Cmaysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cmaysa Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 14

You can use 100% vegetable gelatin like "agar"

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 14

Not all fondant contains gelatin, or even animal products like egg white or milk solids. The brand I buy is vegan.

Check around at different brands. Call the companies' customer service and ask for an ingredients list. I may be wrong, but I do believe I read somewhere that Satin Ice is vegan, but I may be wrong.

Most homemade RF recipes contain either gelatin or egg white. Agar-agar is a vegetarian gelatin substitute, but cannot be substituted measure for measure in recipes. You'll need to either find a recipe for agar-agar fondant, or develop one on your own.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 14

The vanilla/white Satin Ice contains no animal products!

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 14

I am vegan, and have personally contacted Satin Ice, Pettinice and Choco Pan, and have been assured that none of these brands contain any animal products or derivatives. It's usually only homemade fondant (mmf) that contains gelatin.

I can not guarantee that these fondant brands are raw, however. As for the cake, you might want to try a site like http://goneraw.com/ for recipes.

I hope this is helpful!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:02pm
post #8 of 14

I'm a STRICT vegan and the Wilton fondant is vegan (or the one I use is). I don't personally eat it because it contains hydrogenated oil (yuck). But it is vegan. (and the Wilton fondant isn't everyone's favorite, but if you're stuck, I've used it. - I won't make a cake that isn't vegan)

ALSO, I found a homemade vegan recipe on CC called "basic fondant"
ingredients are:
1 cup water,
3 cups sugar,
1/4 tsp cream of tartar.

Let me know if you'd like me to PM you the rest of the recipe.
and GOOD LUCK! icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 14

Fondex is vegan too I believe.

I found this one..

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/1246151

It uses agar-agar which you can find in most stores sometimes in the international foods asile near the japanese foods or in the natural/organic foods asile.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 14

DD is a strict vegan. She eats Satin Ice.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:12pm
post #11 of 14

I forgot to say that you will need to find vegan powdered sugar too because normal powdered sugar is processed through charcoal made from animal bones and some vegans wouldn't like that too much.

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 14

Most rolled fondants contain glycerin which may be derived from vegetable and animal sources (fats).

http://www.vegblog.org/archive/2005/03/15/glycerin/

Satin Ice is certified âPareveâ; however, it does not use the term âvegetable glycerinâ in the list of ingredients.

Satin Ice Ingredients:
Sugar,
corn syrup,
water,
palm oil,
natural and artificial flavor,
gum tragacanth,
titanium dioxide,
glycerine,
cellulose gum,
modified corn starch,
potassium sorbate,
acetic acid.

andrealynmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrealynmoore Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:10pm
post #13 of 14

Satin Ice's website states that it is both vegan and kosher - problem solved!

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:22pm
post #14 of 14

I have a vegan cake line that is very popular. I make my own vegan fondant but in a pinch I use satin ice as it is vegan.

You can use Michelle fosters fondant recipe by substituting soy milk, rice milk, or water for the cream and using arrowroot powder instead of gelatin. And sub earth balance maragarine for the butter. Tastes exactly the same and is vegan. Only certain (usually generic) brands of granulated white sugar are filtered and whitened with bone char. You can buy vegan powdered sugar at whole foods.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%