Royal Icing Flowers

Decorating By Danacakes65 Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 2:57am by cupcakebaby

Danacakes65 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 9

I made a cake with royal icing flowers and I kept it in a cake carrier overnight and by morning the flowers had melted.I am not really sure of how to store cakes after they are finished(refridgerate or not).I needed this cake for tommorow...

8 replies
yummymummy Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 9

Did you frost the cake w/ buttercream? As far as I know, bc does that to RI decorations.

tiggy2 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 9

I think the cake carrier was the problem. It seals in too much moisture. I store mine on the counter over night or in a cake box.

Cakesbylori Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 9

I just let my cakes sit out. I never refridgerate them, I just don't have room in my fridge. If you put any royal icing decorations on a cake, it is a good idea to let it be exposed to air, if you don't, the shortening in the icing will cause the royal icing to melt.

Danacakes65 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 9

Yes the cake was frosted with buttercream,I guess that and the cake carrier was the problem.If I put the cake in a regular cardboard cake box would that be better and my other question would be what do you put royali cing flowers on if you cant put them on buttercream...
Thanks ladies for your help...

Cakesbylori Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 9

You can still put them on a buttercream cake, but make sure that the cake is exposed to air. If you put it in a closed box or cake carrier, the moisture will cause the royal icing to soften. I always tell my customers to leave the box lid open or cracked when letting a cake sit before it is served.

Kay_NL Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 9

The effect that buttercream has on RI flowers is not that fast as long as the RI flowers are completely hardened! I've had RI flowers on a buttercream cake for 4 days and the flowers were still very hard! icon_smile.gif THey just need to be able to "breathe".

I store my cakes on the counter in a cake box over night...

beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:00am
post #8 of 9

sorry that happened! I have had very bad luck w/ RI on BC. Within 24 hours, they melted into the cake. Cake was in a cake box on the counter. RI had dried for a week.

Mind you, here near the beach, it's always "wet". Gumpaste melts too.

cupcakebaby Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:57am
post #9 of 9

I've had this happen to me to,it seems to happen when I use crisco but it has never happened on all butter buttercream.I have even ruined a whole batch of royal icing because there must have been some crisco remnents left in the bowl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%