Please Help- Bhg Took Down The Directions And I Want To Make

Decorating By diz Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 4:52am by 4starcakes

diz Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 15

this cake for my daughters first birthday.
http://www.bhg.com/recipes/desserts/cakes/birthday-cakes-for-kids-recipes/?page=12

I have done the wilton courses so the decorating is not the issue, it is the size of the pans..... any guess??

thank you so much.

14 replies
Donnagardner Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 15

Looks like maybe 8 inch square and 4 inch round.

tiggy2 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 15

Looks like 8" square and 6" round to me but you can make it any size you want, depending on the number of servings you need.

Kim5309 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 15

Hi. Looks like a very fun cake to make and a real party pleaser. I'm not familiar with this particular cake, but I can give you a guess and a suggestion. First the guess. I made a castle cake for my daughter (not the BHG one) and I used a 10" square for the base and a 6" round for the second layer. The dimensions of my cake look very similar to the BHG picture. Now for the suggestion. I got my instructions for the castle cake at CakeBoss.com. She has complete step by step instructions with pictures under the heading "tutorials." You may be able to look at her pictures and directions and apply them to your cake project.

Anyway, I hope someone out there at CC has the instructions you are looking for, but if not, I hope you find my reply helpful. Good luck on your project!

Kim

jadak Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 15

I was going to guess 10" and 6".

ccr03 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 15

I was going to guess 10 an 6 too.

terrylee Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 15

The cones are about 1 1/2", 2" with frosting edging. So a 10" square and 6" round. Cute cake.

Parable Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 15

Just a suggestion. I did a castle cake once for my niece who was only having 5 kids at her party but she wanted a BIG castle. I made the bottom square tier a dummy (styro) and the top tier the real cake. Nobody knew the difference until after the party was over and my sister (her mom) was so relieved to know she didn't have to take....all-that-cake (lol) home with her.

hth

shadow79 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 15

I found the instructions for you. I went to google and typed in "castle cake instructions better homes" and the first result that popped up matched. The instead of clicking on the link, I clikced on "Cached" and there are the instructions. I do this a lot and is how I knew about the cached feature.

You don't have to go through all of the above. I have cut and pasted the link for you below:

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cacheicon_surprised.gifpx2ZlXROrsJ:www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jsp%3Fcatref%3DC322%26storyid%3D/templatedata/bhg/story/data/cookingschool_castlecake_09282002.xml+castle+cake+instructions+better+homes&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

You will need to cut and paste the link into your browser. HTH!

shadow79 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 15

It looks like the whole link did not post in my last posting, but if you just click on it, it should work. It did for me!! icon_biggrin.gif

Marysmom Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 15

Shadow, I looked at the cached page as well. The problem is that they don't tell you the pan sizes on the first page. It tells you to go to page 2 to see a list of equipment.

However, there are comments at the end of the cached page. One commenter says that the round is 8 in. And that she had to go up to using a 9 in square pan. She complains that she still didn't seem to have enough room for her 8 in round pan. This makes me believe that the correct pan sizes are 8 in round and 8 in square.

Here is the quote from the commenter:

"I made this cake for my son's 1st Birthday. Everyone was impressed but I had to use a 9in square and then i still had to trim the 8in round to have room for the cupcakes which made it very had to ice. But i had fun making it. (ps...im not a baker)"

pjaycakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 15

An 8" square is 11" from corner to corner so you could fit an 8 or a 9 round on there, but it looks more like a 6 to me.

diz Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 15

THANK YOU LADIES!!!!

diz Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:38pm
post #14 of 15

THANK YOU LADIES!!!!

4starcakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:52am
post #15 of 15

I did my own version of this same cake and the instructions said 8" square and 6" round. I had a lot of trouble fitting the cones and keeping them from tilting. If I did it again I'd use a larger base. Here is my poor attempt at this cake.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=704633

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%