Oklahoma City Area Cakers!!

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 8:05pm by tdybear1978

tdybear1978 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 17

Hello fellow cakers, I am kind of sending this out not really knowing what to expect. I am looking to hire someone in my bakery because I am in need of help as I am really starting to get busy. I have no idea really where to start to try and find someone. I would like to find somone who has a desire for this kind of stuff and would like to learn. Some basic knowledge of decorating would be great as I love to also teach. I am a new business and can not afford a whole lot as I will also have to get additional insurance when I am able to find someone. SO, I thought I would just put it out there/here and see if anyone would be interested in this - at this time I am really needing someone to help/pretty much just do haha the cleaning/help preparing batters and baking/telephone, taking orders etc. Basically things like that. I would love to get someone who has decorating experience but I know at this time I can not afford that person. So someone who would like to get some decorating experience this could be great for them. this would be a part-time job, maybe 15-20 hours a week, during the day and some Saturdays when I am catering a wedding (which I have a lot this summer that have booked). The pay would be like $6.00 per hour for a 30 day probationary period (make sure things work for both people) and then it would go to $6.50 per hour. I know that does not seem like much and I may not be able to find someone for that but that is what I can do. Okay so now THE PERKS - you will get a 25% discount on anything that you would like to prepare for yourself to use when we do cater the weddings you will be paid $9.00 per hour and you are welcome to get/practice decorating as much as you want (within reason icon_smile.gif ) Anyone interested please feel free to let me know. thanks and I hope that no one thinks I am just stupid for posting this haha

16 replies
CarolAnn Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 17

I don't think it's stupid at all putting out the feelers here. You have to start someplace. I hope you get some bites!! Good luck!

justfrosting Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 17

I am in Tulsa. Shout out!! Good Luck. What a great opportunity!

lu9129 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 17

I'm in St. Louis but I would snatch it up in a New Youk minute if I was starting out!!!!

Some one is going to get this quick! Congratulations on getting busier!!1

Lu

tdybear1978 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 17

thanks for responding, I just was not sure where to even start. hope someone will find this intriguing enough to at least come and talk with me. icon_smile.gif

joaaaann Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 17

I think this is a wonderful idea! I would love to have jumped on it cuz there is still plenty for me to learn when it comes to gum paste flowers and marzipan and different types of fondants etc. I have plenty of other cake decorating knowledge tho and pretty much fit just what you're asking for I think. As for the perks, the rate of pay of 6-6.50 per hr is decent considering it's a 'helper and student' position. I'm in OKC area and if I weren't over the hill and were in a position to make a bold move and leave my 40 hr job (and I might add that it is no where as fun as decorating cakes are for me) then I would do it. I used to seek out someone like you in my area 'back when' ...when the timing was right..but the people were never to be found. I couldn't do it on my own because I lack the business sense and finances. I thought about it a million times and did a lot of research. But not really having the option to act on it in the end. So I now must do the 40 hr per week thing at a thankless and boring job ( still manage to fit in a few cake orders for friends and family here and there tho but it's not the same...so 'props to you'! Good luck with this and I'm sure you'll get someone perfect for your business.

tdybear1978 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 17

well, I just had my first interview and not really sure what I think, he had lots of hair, although it was pulled back, but I think that he was also text messaging on his phone under the table haha. I hope someone here finds any interest.

tdybear1978 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 17

just giving a bump icon_smile.gif

Copacabanya Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 17

I would love to do something like that but I'm 45 miles north of OKC. Lord knows with the gas prices the way they are that just wouldn't fly with the hubby! icon_lol.gif

Good luck! I hope you find someone that will be enthusiastic about it and really take advantage of such a wonderful opportunity!

Anya

JMarieSweets Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 17

I wish I lived there. This would be perfect for me. Ive seen a few requests like this but never in my area. Good luck in finding someone =)

tdybear1978 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 17

thanks guys, I guess it is somewhat encouraging that other people think that it is not a horrible offer. I just was not too sure of that, thanks

bakedandiced Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:43pm
post #12 of 17

Best wishes on finding a helper. If I were not in Owasso it would work out great for me. I would do it as a supplement to the income. Best of luck to you and let us know how it turns out.

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:50am
post #13 of 17

just another bump to get it out there icon_smile.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:43pm
post #14 of 17

well, wish me luck - I have another interview today at noon, hopefully she will not be texting on her phone under the table like the last one haha

keades Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:09pm
post #15 of 17

Oh my goodness! I would so love to start with you and gain the experience! I live in Yukon, but I am 26 weeks pregnant and would be of no help after July. I do have sister in-law and a cousin all in the area due around the same time but they need the income more than my self. I am afraid that it would leave you without some one for the last 6 weeks of summer though. icon_smile.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:38pm
post #16 of 17

thanks keades for at least responding - have not really had much in the way of anyone responding that is anywhere near here. Maybe after you have the baby contact me and see if I need any additional help icon_smile.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:05pm
post #17 of 17

well, second interview was set for noon and she never showed up icon_sad.gif that was one that I was really wanting to talk to, she seemed so excited when she left me her resume and when I called her back. Oh Well, I guess it just wasn't meant to be

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%