Red Velvet Cake Filling Ideas

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 1:21am by bethola

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make a Red Velvet cake tonight, but I don't know what is supposed to compliment this cake. I've never eaten one or made one before.

Can I just use BC icing? What would be a "to die for filling" that would compliment this cake the BC icing? I'm gonna go shopping tonight after work and get busy making it. I start course II tomorrow and think I need to bring in a frosted cake. If not (I have a call into my instructor), I'll be making this for next week's class.

TIA for your help!

3 replies
plbennett_8 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 4

Where I come from...the only filling or icing for a Red Velvet Cake is Cream Cheese Frosting... The link below is Wonderful! icon_smile.gif You can decorate with it.

Happy Baking!

allee Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:58am
post #3 of 4

Another "traditional" filling for red velvet is a coconut pecan icing. Not good for decorating, but the taste is out of this world. I have made several red velvet w/butter cream, but it just doesn't taste like it should. I would definately use cream cheese if I were going to decorate it.

bethola Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:21am
post #4 of 4

Well, I was told the only kind of icing to use is: The Red Velvet Cake Fluffy Icing. The recipe is on this site I THINK with someone's Grandmother's Red Velvet Cake recipe. It's made by heating milk and flour and then adding Crisco and granulated sugar and vanilla and beat it until fluffy. If you want the exact measurements I'll be happy to get that for you, just pm me.

NOW, having said THAT...MOST people in KENTUCKY like Cream Cheese do I! But, the coconut pecan icing.....may edge it out! LOL

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%