Using Fresh Strawberries As Filling Question

Decorating By MayWest Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 4:00pm by TaylorMadeSweetz

MayWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MayWest Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a WASC cake with fresh strawberries mixed with strawberry glaze as filling (it tastes like strawberry shortcake ...YUMMM).
I am covering the cake with fondant (Satin Ice) and I really don't want to refrigerate my fondant. This is a four tier cake with details and I have to start decorating it the night before the event. My question is, will the strawberries go bad if I leave the decorated cake sit out overnight? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

4 replies
TaylorMadeSweetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaylorMadeSweetz Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 5

I just did a 3 tier this weekend with fresh strawberries and glaze, but I used marsh mellow fondant. I did let mine sit overnight, however I kept the temperature in my kitchen cool and the cake was fine. The guest at the reception loved it! It didn't go bad at all. hope this helps...

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayWest

I am making a WASC cake with fresh strawberries mixed with strawberry glaze as filling (it tastes like strawberry shortcake ...YUMMM).
I am covering the cake with fondant (Satin Ice) and I really don't want to refrigerate my fondant. This is a four tier cake with details and I have to start decorating it the night before the event. My question is, will the strawberries go bad if I leave the decorated cake sit out overnight? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

there aren't going to be preservatives in your filling, so i would refrigerate the cake. why don't you want to put the fondant in the fridge? i ALWAYS keep my cakes in the commercial walk in cooler (colder that a home refrigerator), covered in fondant or BC. they are just fine. chilled cakes are easier to stack and transport (in my opinion). so i only bring them out when i'm working on them, and to deliver.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 5

It would be fine to refrigerate them. By the time you get them where you need them to be, they will be a good temperature and the fondant won't be hard to cut at all (it that is what you are worried about). Refigerated cakes are always easier to work with. I pop my satin ice covered cakes in the frige all the time without any problems. BUT, I guess if you wanna leave them out for whatever reason, just overnight it won't ruin the cake but berries need to be kept cool for them to be at their best (IMHO).

TaylorMadeSweetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaylorMadeSweetz Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 5

I'm glad you guys mentioned that you could refrigerate fondant. Thanks!!!I wasn't sure of that either, that's why I left mine out overnight. Could you also do that with MMF?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%