Can I Decorate With Meringue Buttercream?

Decorating By MissyShay Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 2:55pm by pianocat

MissyShay Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 11

I am doing a baby shower cake for a friend who cannot have powdered sugar. I have always used the basic wilton recipe to decorate my cakes. Is a meringue buttercream stiff enough to decorate with? I have never had the meringue buttercream before. Do ya'll have any other suggestions for a decorating frosting that does not use powdered sugar? I am also making decorated sugar cookies for the shower. Any suggestions on what I can use instead of royal icing?

Thank you,

This is my first ever post, I hope I picked the right category. icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
jessfmaldonado Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 11

What about Fondant??? Is Fondant out of the question too?? You can decorate the cookies in fondant as well as the cake.

ShayShay Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 11

I have used the IMBC for borders and it holds up very well. I have not tried to do flowers with it. Good Luck!

pianocat Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 11

Shayshay-can you smooth it on cake???

pastrylady Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 11

You can definitely smooth IMBC onto a cake...and you can pipe, borders, flowers, leaves, basketweave or anything else with it.

I don't know how commercial fondant is made, but I use confectioner's sugar to make fondant. So if she can't have confectioner's sugar, I would stay away from fondant as well. I don't know about MMF, maybe someone who makes that can tell you.

For the sugar cookies, maybe a poured fondant? Poured fondant is made from sugar syrup, not confectioner's sugar. Some craft stores sell a powder that makes poured fondant. You might have to call the company to see how it's made commercially and whether they use confectioner's sugar. HTH

ShayShay Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 11

IMBC smoothes so easily on cakes! It really is great to work with. If you get any stubborn spots that just will not smooth, run your knife under hot water, dry it off and smooth the icing. works wonderfully. Really is worth the effort making it! I find it much easier to use than buttercream. Search the recipes for the one posted by ShirleyW. Personaly, it's my fav.

MissyShay Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:38am
post #7 of 11

Thanks for your helpp, but what is imbc and mmf? I tried searching the recipes for imbc but nothing came up. I'm still trying to learn ya'lls lingo.

ShayShay Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:37pm
post #8 of 11

IMBC = Italian Meringue Buttercream. MMF = Marshmallow fondant icon_smile.gif
Marshmallow fondant is made with powdered sugar so that isn't much use to you in this case, but it is really easy to use instead of buying fondant.

MissyShay Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:18pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you, I found Shirley's method, but I have one more question. I noticed that it uses orange exract. If I am making a spice cake or carrot cake what flavor should I use instead? I was thinking almond.

ShayShay Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:30pm
post #10 of 11

You can use any kind of flavouring that you would like. I usually just use vanilla or almond. I think either one would be great with carrot cake!

pianocat Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 2:55pm
post #11 of 11

Just wanted to say, I tried the meringue bc (Shirley's). Loved it, and could definitely smooth it, and do some decorations with it. The taste is great. I will be using this icing in the future. Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%