Spongebob Help

Decorating By kerri729 Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 4:29pm by kerri729

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all:
Well, I have another challenge....a lady I work with wants me to make her daughter's birthday cake, and she wants a Spongebob Cake that looks like the attached. I have a couple of issues, first she only needs to feed 10-15 people, and my thought was to make this out of a 9x13 cake, which would be too much cake, second, I have never done a sculpted cake, although Spongebob would probably be easier than most, and last, I really don't know what to charge- I don't think I have ever been this stumped- usually, I get the basic idea of what the people want, and they say "do what you think is best"..........help anyone?
TIA
Kerri
LL

5 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 6

you can use a 9x13 and just cut it to make it smaller. i would probably charge at least $30.00. icon_wink.gif

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:55am
post #3 of 6

Do you have a 8 in square that you can trim? I would try that and then carve the sides to look the the sponge part and then fondant for the arms, legs, and nose. I tend to charge more for the few 3D cakes that I have done, I have found out that they take jsut a bit more of my time. icon_rolleyes.gif I would charge at least $40-45.00 for it. That way it covers the cost of fondant too. Good luck, he's a fun cake to do!!

HTH,

Kim

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:42am
post #4 of 6

Here's a similar sponge bob and his price http://www.oksugar.com/view_image.asp?image_id=147&bk=category%5Fid%3D7%26pr%3D7&cn=Novelty+Cakes

He looks like a 9x13 2 layer cake though.

kerri729 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all! Well, I quoted her $30 for the cake (based on doing an 8x8 square), and she responded "I don't know that I really want to spend $30 on a kids cake- granted I understand why- what do you normally charge for a 1/2 sheet cake?" icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I think I am going run away from this one- granted it's a hobby of mine, and not a career, but I don't need to give it away.

kerri729 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all! Well, I quoted her $30 for the cake (based on doing an 8x8 square), and she responded "I don't know that I really want to spend $30 on a kids cake- granted I understand why- what do you normally charge for a 1/2 sheet cake?" icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I think I am going run away from this one- granted it's a hobby of mine, and not a career, but I don't need to give it away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%