First Paying Customer...price Too Much?

Business By lovetofrost Updated 17 May 2008 , 10:47pm by littlecake

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 May 2008 , 9:01pm
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Any time I make a cake for cost (which is almost never), I give the customer an invoice showing them what the cake would have cost them if they paid full price.

Me too. I also set it up so the discount shows up on the paper invoice in RED so it really stands out.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:15pm
post #32 of 34

Well, according to you guys I feel very cheap. I didn't do it for cost, just what I would charge with 20% off. I do feel like I need to make it clear to myself what I consider a regular cupcake and a specialty. As I only charged my regular price and my regular cake price for the smash cake and not the specialty price. I should have charged $60 for the cupcakes and $30 for the cake totaling $90 and then discount and then add tax. But, When I added that up I just couldn't imagine charging her that or paying that amount myself. Especially since I didn't know how much she was expecting to pay, which I should have discussed better. She just said I'll pay whatever, just let me know. So I came up with $45 and told her at the party when she went to pay and she said are you sure that is all I thought it would be like $100 or something. So she gave me $50 b/c I didn't want more than that, I would fell bad taking that from her since it was my nieces birthday. I feel great about doing for her and everyone had great comments and she was very happy with them. Do you all feel bad about how much you charge or is it just me? Thanks!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:34pm
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetofrost

Especially since I didn't know how much she was expecting to pay, which I should have discussed better. She just said I'll pay whatever, just let me know.

Then you respond with "So $1000 is in your budget?" and watch how fast they give you a number! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Seriously, they really have to give you at least a range or you have no idea what other people consider reasonable or affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetofrost

Do you all feel bad about how much you charge .....?

Nope! Never. For those who can't or aren't willing to my rates, I just send them down the road to walmart.

If you're not confident in your product and it's worth, then how can you expect your customer to be confident in the value they are getting?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:47pm
post #34 of 34

those cupcakes are gonna be A LOT of work

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%