Whats Happening?????

Decorating By DEE328 Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 12:25pm by DEE328

DEE328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEE328 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 8

icon_cry.gif ok the last 2 times I have made a pound cake it has EXPLODED ! I mean for real all over the stove like it blew up and then went back down only getting about a 1/4 in cake .I have baked pound cakes in the past and these were 2 new recepies but WOW what a mess and I cant figure out what is going on ? ANY POSS. ANSWERS??? PLEASE !!!dont want to clean my oven any more . Thanks in advance Dee icon_lol.gif

7 replies
AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 8

Can you post the recipes? Then maybe we can see what's going on.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 8

Buttermilk and baking powder?

Even if you used too much baking powder, that still seems rather unlikely for an explosion.

My only ideas!

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 8

Is it possible that your oven is too hot when you put the cake in? The butter in the batter overheats rapidly and sends cake all over the place, especially if it hasnât been whipped light and fluffy enough⦠Havenât had a cake explode in the oven, but on a smaller scale I used to get similar explosions melting butter in the microwave, you can observe the experiment with 1/2 stick on 30-second power setting...

DEE328 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 8

I put my oven on 325 which is low . The only thing that I could have done different is I mixed the butter and sugar together a little longer so it was really incorp. but then I did let it sit for about 30-45 min while I was ready to make the rest of it -- just doing other things do you think waiting or over mixing butter and sugar would have done anything different DEE

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 8

One other thought...

...did you accidentally use self-rising flour AND either baking soda or baking powder?

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 8

It sounds like it is creating a crust too quickly on top which is keeping in steam until......kaboom. Maybe you are baking too high up inside the oven. Can you use a lower rack?

DEE328 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 8

NOPE NO SELF RISING .......ITS A CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE WITH BAKING SODA AND POWDER -BUTTERMILK -NOW IT DID USE THE DARK COCO POWDER . I JUST DONG KNOW icon_confused.gif DEE

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%