Pudding In "white" Cake Mix

Decorating By gourmetcakes Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm by gourmetcakes

gourmetcakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 9

My question is.....when using the box of pudding with a "white" cake mix, can I take out the yolks or do I need them since I am using the box of pudding?

Following will be what I am using for this cake. 1 box of white cake mix, 1 small box of white chocolate or cheesecake pudding, 1 1/4 cups milk, 1/2 cup of oil and 4 eggs. These measurements are what I use for all of my cakes.

Another question.....which of the previously mentioned puddings will have less of a yellow color when I add it to the white cake mix?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

8 replies
kelleym Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 9

Both these pudding flavors are delicious with white cake mix. I never remote the yolks, because I do not think they make much difference color-wise, and they contain a lot of moisture and flavor. Between White Chocolate and Cheesecake, White Chocolate is probably the "whiter" of the two, but really the differece is not much. Yum! icon_smile.gif

cerobs Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 9

Can you taste the chocalate in the cake.

kelleym Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 9

I would say you can taste a hint of it...just enough to give the white cake some added dimension. Enough to make people say "hmmmmm". icon_biggrin.gif

Tootall Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 9

Ok, now MY question is, do you use a box of pudding even with cake mixes that have pudding already in the mix? icon_confused.gif I've wondered about that for some time because I always use ones with pudding already added.

kelleym Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootall

Ok, now MY question is, do you use a box of pudding even with cake mixes that have pudding already in the mix? icon_confused.gif I've wondered about that for some time because I always use ones with pudding already added.

Oh yes!! I prefer Pillsbury, or Betty Crocker as a backup and I never, ever use DH. Here is my "standard" recipe if I am adding a box of pudding to Pillsbury or BC:

1 box cake mix
1 box pudding
4 eggs
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup oil

thumbs_up.gif

gourmetcakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks so much. I will probably keep the yolks in, I surely do not want to take any moistness away from the cake. That is the main reason I use the pudding and milk.

Tootall ~ I swear by Betty Crocker, usually Pillsbury occasionally for certain flavors, but I also do not use Duncan Hines. Just personal preference on taste, texture, etc. And, I now NEVER make a cake without pudding. It has totally changed my cakes forever!!! I have nothing but compliments on every cake I make.

Tootall Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 9

Yay! Thanks! I use nothing but Betty Crocker, too. I like the texture of it. I used Duncan once and swore never again. I have never ever had a cake that gave me more crumbs!! It was a nightmare. icon_lol.gif I'll start buying a box of pudding with my BC now! icon_biggrin.gif

gourmetcakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 9

I made my cakes last night with the White Betty Crocker cake mix and white chocolate pudding (including the yolks). The flavor was wonderful. Though the color was not a true white......I guess I would still want to try it without the yolks to see how if holds up with the box of pudding. But, it was very tasty!!!!

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%