Bassinet Hood ...

Decorating By getfrosted Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm by getfrosted

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 9

What is everyone's suggestions on the bassinet hood of the attached cake? I am going to do it out of gumpaste (hopefully today), but I don't know how to get the proper shape ... I honestly can think of anything to form it over.

Any one have an idea?

(I would give credit to the person who's cake this is, but my customer found the picture)
LL

8 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 9

I'm clueless but thought I would give you a bump. It is a beautiful cake!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 9

I made a bassinet hood for one of my cakes and I used 1/2 of the Wilton egg pan. I did mine with royal icing.
LL

asmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asmith Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 9

On one of the Food Network cake challenges I saw them do baby shower cakes. One guy did a bassinet and I am pretty sure that he used melted chocolate on the bottom of a round bowl and then used a heated knife to cut through the chocolate to get a nice shape.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 9

I know wilton has a pattern for it that you just cut and form. I'm not sure which yearbook. I think you can get it off wilton.com. Hope this helps.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 9

my friend bakes her cakes in the oval pans. she stacks the two layers. she makes the hood from the wilton egg pan. she makes two of them at the time with gumpaste also. then dresses it up as she likes.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 9

I just made a hood this weekend, from fondant and gumpaste mix. I used the large end of a styrofoam egg. I let it dry for 1 day and then took out the styrofoam and propped it open with a cut straw to hold the shape I need and to let it dry on the inside. The cake is due Saturday, looks like it will work just fine.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 9

I did one a while back. I actually used white candy melts and formed them using 1/2 of the small wilton ball pan. It worked like a charm.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1162278.html

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone! I forgot that I have the large egg pan so I think I will dig that out and see if it's big enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%