How Much Do You Charge For A Character Cake ?

Decorating By cerobs Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 12:48am by Carolynlovescake

cerobs Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 14

I need to have a set price for my character cakes. How much do you charge?

13 replies
Carolynlovescake Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 14

Anything from this link is a custon price. It depends on design/detail.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=3E3050A4-475A-BAC0-5C5F5E1F588745A3&fid=3E305D47-475A-BAC0-51F3A0DEB1C54219

Anything from this link ( http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=3E3050A4-475A-BAC0-5C5F5E1F588745A3&fid=3E305D47-475A-BAC0-51F3A0DEB1C54219 ) is illegal to sell with out written permission from the copyright owner.

For me to bake & sell it then it would be cost of the cake plus what the copyright owner charges me. Some of those copyrights cost thousands of dollars per use also just as an FYI IF they even allow it (which many won't).

If you do the cake with out permission, get caught, & sued you could literally loose your business bevause they will come after you with with fleets of lawyers & seeking damages plus their chosen fee of what you owe for illegal use of that image.

If you do any from the no-no link they have to be free/no exchange of goods (I buy supplies you do the cake)/no tip/ero profit.

Also, some of those copyright owners do call cake shops & try to get the character cakes just to test you. People who post (or once did) here have been caught.

If you are not working out of a licensed home kitchen or bakery authoized to sell them I suggest you steer clear of them for legality reasons.

AJsGirl Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 14

Yeah, I didn't think it was legal to sell those character cakes, either. Good info, thanks.

wgoat5 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 14

ughh that's why I haven't done any for awhile.. although.. you can add their toys icon_sad.gif without a problem

cerobs Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

Anything from this link is a custon price. It depends on design/detail.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=3E3050A4-475A-BAC0-5C5F5E1F588745A3&fid=3E305D47-475A-BAC0-51F3A0DEB1C54219

Anything from this link ( http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=3E3050A4-475A-BAC0-5C5F5E1F588745A3&fid=3E305D47-475A-BAC0-51F3A0DEB1C54219 ) is illegal to sell with out written permission from the copyright owner.

For me to bake & sell it then it would be cost of the cake plus what the copyright owner charges me. Some of those copyrights cost thousands of dollars per use also just as an FYI IF they even allow it (which many won't).

If you do the cake with out permission, get caught, & sued you could literally loose your business bevause they will come after you with with fleets of lawyers & seeking damages plus their chosen fee of what you owe for illegal use of that image.

If you do any from the no-no link they have to be free/no exchange of goods (I buy supplies you do the cake)/no tip/ero profit.

Also, some of those copyright owners do call cake shops & try to get the character cakes just to test you. People who post (or once did) here have been caught.

If you are not working out of a licensed home kitchen or bakery authoized to sell them I suggest you steer clear of them for legality reasons.

I don't get it why do they sale the pan if we can not bake them. I made a john deere cake

cerobs Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks but can I use a image on a cake. Is that ok

Carolynlovescake Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerobs

I don't get it why do they sale the pan if we can not bake them. I made a john deere cake

The character pans are for home use only and are clearly marked as such.

From a legal standpoint if they look at a cake & call it "John Deere" "Care Bear" "Tigger" etc so doing it but changing it to "green tractor" "fun bear" "
Tiger" won't get you out of trouble. If it's recoganizable it's their's.

If you charged for John Deere then you broke the law. If you did it for hubby's birthday & didn't no law broken and all is good.

This goes for any image including sports teams (local schools mascots/college/pro etc), clothing/shoe lines etc. If it's a well known name and it holds a copyright or trademark logo it's off limits without written permission from the copyright holder.

This includes edible images, cake toppers and anything YOU purchase & put on the cake.

I have my clients pick up their toppers & drop them off. I will impress where they go & when the cake gets home let them put it on. (I like to have it so I can incorporate it into my decorating and not just have it thrown where ever on the top by mom/dad when it gets home.)

AJsGirl Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 14

They sell the pan for moms who want to make the cake for their kids' birthdays. I know I bought the Dora pan and Spiderman because my kids had to have them.

cerobs Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 14

So when I make a character pans cake I should call it another name and the customer should put it the iteam on there self.

cerobs Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 14

So when I make a character pans cake I should call it another name and the customer should put it the iteam on there self.

Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 14

I don't do many character cakes anymore but when I did..I charged $35.00-$40.00 each.Some of the cakes have alot of colors and it takes time to mix and pipe.

cerobs Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 14

thanks alsot ladies

TheButterWench Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:34pm
post #13 of 14

Unless you purchase your image commercially you cannot use it

Carolynlovescake Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:48am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerobs

No.

Even renaming Elmo to "Zelmo" or Cookie Monster to "Blue Monster" will land you in just as big of a legal battle.

If they look at it and say "that looks like ___________" and you know it really is a copy of ________________" it's still copyright infringement.

As I said if it has ©, ®, TM and SM as a trademark identifier stear clear of doing it on your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%