How Early Must I Start Decorating Cupcake With Fondant

Decorating By zalma Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 11:10am by Homemade-Goodies

zalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zalma Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I've been playing with cupcake making for leasure and interest. Thank God my effort was noticed and appreciated. I got an order from a close friend wanting me to make her wedding cupcakes with decorative fondants ontop. My main concern is, she ordered 300 cupcakes, how early must I make my decorative fondants? And since I have to put it as a topper to each cupcakes, when do I start placing the fondant onto the cupcakes?

4 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 5

Just to clarify, are you covering the cupcakes with fondant AND putting a fondant topper on? The toppers you can make way ahead of time and allow them to dry. Just store them out of direct sunlight to avoid fading. The fondant icing, you want to be soft when people bite into the cupcakes. I just did a wedding cupcake order. I baked on Friday night, put a very thin coat of icing on to seal in the freshness and covered losely with saran wrap. I put the fondant icing on Saturday and the cupcakes were served Saturday night. I was concerned about the freshness of the cupcakes so I wanted to do them as close to the event as possible. Hope my timeline helps you a bit.

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:31am
post #3 of 5

So for fondant topper decorations, you allow them to dry/harden? Do people eat them hard? I am also wanting to make cupcakes with fondant toppers, but with buttercream icing, and was wondering the same thing about making them in advance. Thanks!

zalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zalma Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:52am
post #4 of 5

Hi alanahodgson,
I won't be covering the cupcake with fondant, but be making few small flower fondants instead on the cake.
Is it advisable if I were to place the fondants 2 days before the event?

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:10am
post #5 of 5

I'm doing my first ever bake sale, for a charity event. I'm thinking I should make about 100-150 cupcakes. (There are also cookies up the ying-yang and brownies.)

How long do you think they should stay fresh, with a buttercream/beehivey shaped frosting? If the sale is noon Saturday, and I started baking Wednesday, frosting & decorating Thursday & Friday, would they still be tasty come Saturday?

We have eaten cupcakes around the house that old, but is it still 'saleable'?

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%