Cake Baking Wilton Pans Help!

Decorating By todolomio Updated 10 May 2008 , 3:45am by todolomio

todolomio Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 9

Everytime I bake using the 3" wilton cake pans the cake winds up with a dented center on the sides of the cake (looks like an hour glass figure). I tried using the baking strips??? to have an even cake but, that does not help. I also, tried tapping the pan when filling it with the batter and let the air out but, that does not work either. Anyone have an idea of why this happens?

8 replies
AJsGirl Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 9

Interesting, I've never used the 3" pans. What sizes are you using, are they big tiers? What is your baking temp?

todolomio Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:01am
post #3 of 9
Originally Posted by AJsGirl

Interesting, I've never used the 3" pans. What sizes are you using, are they big tiers? What is your baking temp?

It's happen with just a single tier. My baking temp. is 350 degrees. icon_sad.gif

JanH Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:30am
post #4 of 9

Here are all four Wilton cake preparation and servings charts for 2 & 3" pans:
(Gives batter requirements by pan size, as well as recommended baking temps. and times - and more.)

Wilton recommends the use of baking cores for cakes of 10" diameter and up. However, I found the use of greased & floured inverted flower nails to be so much more convenient. (And I use my bake even strips on everything.)

Do your pans have straight sides? I have a set of Wilton 9" pans (I bought from ebay) that have sloped sides and when stacked the sides never resulted in a straight side angle . (Needless to say, I don't use those pans for anything....)

Also, not all the Wilton sheet cake pans have straight sides/corners.....

Are you using a doctored scratch or cake mix recipe?

Here's a handy troubleshooting chart:

If all else fails, you can always trim the edges until they all line up.

HerBoudoir Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 9

I've had this happen before, and I *think* it's from the cake not being baked quite through. As it cools, it collapses a bit, hence the sides bowing in.

wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:14am
post #6 of 9

Wilton pans are known not to be the best heat conductors... I am a big advocate for Magic Line pans.. If you can some day get you just one and you will be hooked icon_smile.gif

Magic Line pans are great heat conductors icon_smile.gif

ForNikoandAnna Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 9

**quick hyjack**

wgoat5~ can you get those pans in stores or only online? Shipping to try a pan is almost as much as the pan itself icon_rolleyes.gif . I also have the Wilton pans and have had so/so luck with them. Thanks!

**end hyjack**

wgoat5 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 9

Actually I have seen more able to get the Fat Daddio pans in stores then I have Magic line... you could go with Fat Daddios... They aren't quite (in my opinion) as good as ML pans but they are better then Wilton (again my opinion) icon_smile.gif

Try going to :

and check their shipping on pans.. icon_smile.gif

todolomio Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:45am
post #9 of 9

You know guys, I've been disconnected and I have totally forgotten to say Thank you all for your suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%