Fondant Orchids? Help

Decorating By servingzero Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 3:14am by Cake_Princess

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 11:41am
post #1 of 10

Hello, I've had a request for an orchid themed cake, and they'd like fondant orchids (3D), I've never done any flowers from fondants (they are friends of mine, so it's okay if I practice on them)

Anyway, does anyone have any how-to's for me?? How do I put it together once I've gotten the petals cut out? Do you let them dry first, them attach with RI?? Do you mold the leaves together into a flower before it dries, and let it dry that way? Will fondant flowers hold up on a BC cake? Is fondant what I should be using here? I also thought about gumpaste, but made fondant already and would prefer not to waste it haha.

I appreciate any tips anyone can give me! It's for this Saturday, so, the sooner the better for suggestions!
Thanks!

9 replies
Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 11:51am
post #2 of 10

There are some orchid JEM and FMM cutters on the Global Sugar Art site, and they are not very expensive. Maybe someone has some experience with those? I've never made them myself...

servingzero Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 10

I have pics of the cutters, but there's no way I can get them in time, so I'll be hand-cutting a template, and cutting petal from those.

I just don't know the best way to attach the petals, or how MMF will hold up on a BC cake.

Anyone that can help with drying and assembling orchids? (1st timer here)

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 10

IMHO flowers should always be made out of gumpaste (sugarpaste).
The paste can be rolled very thin, dries really hard and they will be easier to handle when you need to paint or assemble them.

servingzero Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 10

I guess I best get my butt mixing up some gumpaste then. Darn it all. I should think about this things earlier!
And I hve just made 5 out of fondant, doh! Oh well, guess we'll just see how they stand up. I was thinking that maybe if I put a fondant plaque on the cake for the flowers to rest on, then the BC moisture wouldn't be an issue?

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 10

If you already made 5 out of fondant, use them. I like your idea for a sugarpaste plaque.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 10

What style orchids are you making. There's a cake in my photos that I did for a wedding if you want to look at that. Pm me if you have any questions.

Jo-Ann

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 10

If you go to Scott Clark Wooleys site which is cakesbydesign.com, he has the cutters, veiners and also how to videos. Its kinda pricey though. Their are also other cutters that you can get. But I also highly recommend the book from Alan Dunn called Sugar Orchids. He gives step by step instructions and has templates if you dont want to buy cutters.

servingzero Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:54am
post #9 of 10

Well the fondant seems to be drying fairly well so far, so hopefully that will work out find. I just decided that it's practice, so I'll continue with the fondant. I've made 8 flowers, cross your fingers for a week that they all will make it to the cake! I'll do a plaque underneath the flower area, and hopefully they will hold up!

This has definately been an eye-opener! I need to get some supplies for flowers ( I don't have ANYTHING at all for making flowers) My orchids are drying tonight in an aluminum support contraption (read, mess!) that I've stuff foil here and there to hopefully create the 3D shape I want. We'll see! I will definately be doing a photo journal of this one haha.

That is my next purchase, flower stuff! Since it does seem really fun, and rewarding. I like to learn all I can!

Thanks for the help!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:14am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by servingzero

I have pics of the cutters, but there's no way I can get them in time, so I'll be hand-cutting a template, and cutting petal from those.

I just don't know the best way to attach the petals, or how MMF will hold up on a BC cake.

Anyone that can help with drying and assembling orchids? (1st timer here)

Use flower formers to dry. Don't have flower formers? Use the cardboard tubing from the inside of paper towels.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%